Running a website which requires tomcat

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by prasmuss » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:57 pm
Hi,

A sonic tech I talked to suggested I should bring this up on your forum. I have developed a new website using magnolia, a CMS based on tomcat. The reason for this is that I have some java based software elements on my website. I used to have a simple website on sonic.net and I like sonic.net a lot and and so was hoping you could host my new website. I talked to a tech there who convinced me that I would probably be able to get this to work so I reenabled my webhosting with you. But now I am realizing that I should have thought that at the very least I would need the ability to run java on the sonic server and almost for sure your Apache web server would need to have mod_jk/ajp13 configured. So I am thinking that this is not going to work with sonic. I am a pretty savvy technical person with many years of experience as a professional software developer so if its possible to get this to work at sonic, I don't think I would need much technical handholding. Anyway - please advise...

Thanks,

- paul r.
by toast0 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:00 pm
I don't think you're going to be able to run a tomcat site on shared hosting w/ sonic (it would be a listed feature, tomcat based hosting isn't very common). I was able to find some not terribly expensive hosts out there for tomcat, but I have no way of knowing if they're any good, so I'm not going to link them (searched for shared tomcat hosting); magnolia might have some recommendations too. FWIW, I've been running my personal servers from a sonic.net dsl for the past 8 years, and I've been pretty happy with it, but my work servers, in real co-lo facilities, have much better uptime and connectivity (and cost a lot more!)
by prasmuss » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:23 pm
OK thanks a lot. I don't think I really want to run my own server and I couldn't do it via sonic (unfortunately) anyway since I live in Canada (used to live in SF which is why I know about sonic).

- paul r.
by thulsa_doom » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:37 pm
We may be able to set up Tomcat on a Custom Hosting configuration. I don't know of any customers we have set up that way off the top of my head, though.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by prasmuss » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:26 pm
Well just FYI it turns out that you can do tomcat hosting for free (at least for now) on Redhat's "Openshift" (https://openshift.redhat.com/app/)

- paul r.
5 posts Page 1 of 1