Solution for: Folder names do not appear in Webmail/Atmail

General discussions and other topics.
1 post Page 1 of 1
by ctwitt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:44 pm
i performed several Forum searches of this topic using variations of the Subject line above, with no matches, so i apologize if this has already been discussed and resolved to death...under another topic name.
My problem was that when using the Advanced format in Atmail/webmail, no folder names were appearing in the folder listing pane of the main page, and only the basic folders (Inbox, Trash, Draft, and Sent) were offered when i tried to sort messages into one of my personal folders.
it didn't seem to matter whether i was using FF 3.xx or FF 13.xx (former on an old G4, latter on a 2009 asus-eee). the problem did *not* occur if i used the Basic format (all folders were accessible).
so i asked Sonic support about it. initially, my first contact didn't seem to know much about it and suggested it might be a FF compatibility problem. so i resigned myself to using Basic format.
However, a day later, *another* Sonic tech spontaneously emailed me with another idea: two of my personal folder names had "special characters", i.e. an apostrophe and an ampersand.
now i suppose we all know that using 'special characters' is a no-no when naming files. but i failed to make the connection that it's also the road to confusion when naming mail folders. especially since the problem did *not* appear in T-Bird.
when i renamed my folders to eliminate all "special characters", the problem went away.

THANKS to Hoai-An T.!
1 post Page 1 of 1