Administering WordPress Site during hosting move

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:31 pm
We are in the process of moving our WordPress site to another hosting solution. We need to be able to view/administer the old site on Sonic at the same time that we view the transferred site at the other hositng solution. Now that our domain points to the other hosting site, what is the URL to administer it on the Sonic site?
Here is the prior URL (with our domain name removed):

http://www.domainname.com/wp-login.php? ... F&reauth=1

What is the new value for www.domainname.com?

I tried to get an answer through support@sonic.net (case 2151059) but they sent me to this forum.

Thank you!
by dane » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:13 pm
It would likely be sonic.net/~username/subdirectory - where the subdirectory was whatever you set up Wordpress to point toward. I think the default is often the domain name, eg sonic.net/~username/example.com/
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aonc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:44 pm
Thank you for the suggestion. I still get the same 404 - File Not Found with that:

www.sonic.net/~SonicName/DomainName.com/
sonic.net/~SonicName/DomainName.com/

Support had suggested /home/<first letter>/<username>/public_html/ which I tried with the www.sonic.net preface. It too didn't work.

Other suggestions?
by joemuller » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:47 pm
Both of these URL's should work: (you may have to add domainname.com on the end if the site was located in a folder inside your main web directory)
users.sonic.net/<username>/
sonic.net/~<username>/

* Replace <username> with the username you had the site under.

I recommend trying to track down the site files via FTP, which can be accessed at ftp.sonic.net. The public_html folder should correspond to the last slash in the examples above.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by Guest » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:04 pm
Thank you for the reply. It gave me an idea though: Did Sonic automatically disable our access when the DNS changes went through?

(I'm not able to connect via FTP either.)

How do I resolve this since Support told me to go through here? (Latest case #2151059.)
by Guest » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:18 pm
I should mention that I think your links are better since they give 403 Permission Denied ... That is why I went back to FTP to see what was going on there. (I get server rejected your login credentials there and I have a saved password in IPSwitch WS_FTP that I used for the initial transfer. It should be good)
by joemuller » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:35 pm
I've been able to get access to the site at:
www.sonic.net/~aonc/

The admin panel is at www.sonic.net/~aonc/wp-admin/.
by Guest » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:52 pm
For a moment I thought it was progress ...

I think this is pointing to the broken page at the new hosting site. (First clue: Logo at top right is missing.)

Is that possible? (If not, I have a backup here I will ftp back to Sonic to try again ... It's possible that over the weekend a WordPress update was made to the Sonic site that was intended for the new hosting site.)

Also, my FTP login is working again! Thank you for whatever you did for that.
by joemuller » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:08 pm
I've just checked our logs - the link I gave you is definitely resolving to the copy here.
9 posts Page 1 of 1