Supernews.sonic.net down

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
55 posts Page 1 of 6
by jeffl » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:52 pm
Supernews server down. When is it going to be restored?
by disappointed » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:28 pm
I'd like to know too. 10:30pm wednesday oct 17 -- still down.
by biltrlok » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:17 am
Just talked to tech support minutes ago.

Short answer: "We can't and won't help you, we are going to let our UseNet service die. You can just go somewhere else for NewsGroups. We don't care if you bail because of it." srsly

We knew this would happen we just didn't know when.

With the growth of Sonic.net, it was inevitable that supporting the little guy would become low priority, and now it's happened.

I've been with them for ~10 years, overpaying for bandwidth and hosting, sticking around only for the stellar tech support. This is _very_ disappointing!

Personally I feel insulted over this. With ISP, hosting and DSL, I pay ~$65/mo. "We don't care" is a slap in the face. I'm now actively looking for another ISP.

If you'd like to piss & moan about this, let's chat:
biltrlok@sonic.net
but I'm sure there's nothing we can do to change it.

Bill Turlock
by Jeff Kan Lee » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:26 am
I've been with them from almost the start, loved their customer service. That news server was a real treat to me. I think if enough pissed off subscribers post, maybe Dane will listen.
by biltrlok » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:32 am
I doubt it. In the Forum discussion thread "Required Modem--Extra 32.5% Per Month?", it's become clear that they're "Too Big To Care" now.
Bill
by aw » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:47 am
What Sonic DOES provide still is IPV6 access, and there are usenet servers out there that are free if you use IPV6. newszilla6.xs4all.nl is one. weathergirl-ipv6.tele2.net is another.
by biltrlok » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:58 am
Thanks.

For me it's pretty much Super/Giga-news only, for their completion/retention & group-list.

But I'll check it out.
by biltrlok » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:02 am
NOTE TO DANE:
I read in another thread where you say that data costs are trivial nowadays (paraphrased). If that is so, then give me more "bandwith" for the money, and I'll _buy_ Supernews directly, and stick with Sonic.

Yes? No? Maybe?

LMK

Thanks

Bill
by nncp » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:24 pm
I think Dane wrote (on the blog? in the forums) a while back they were going to let it die. Usenet servers are expensive to administer and I think he said that there weren't a lot of customers calling for it.

If that's the case, I'd be happy if sonic puts those saved dollars into rolling out fiber for my neighborhood :)
by biltrlok » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:32 pm
Thanks.

My "offer" still stands. I've now lost value for what I'm paying, and relied upon. "Less for More" isn't the way to do business IMO.

Bill
55 posts Page 1 of 6