ATT Called Today

General discussions and other topics.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by pboggini » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:59 pm
So ATT called today and as I picked up the phone I said to my son "this should be fun.":-).

The nice lady wanted to know what she could do to get me to come back since I was a "longtime loyal ATT customer." I explained that I had switched to Sonic Fusion so that I could save money and get better service than ATT. She seemed a bit puzzled but then I explained that I was paying $46/month for unmetered and uncapped DSL with unlimited local and long distance calling which was about $5/month cheaper than I'd been paying for 1.5Mb/s down. She tried to sell me on the Uverse extras but she didn't seem to have any that I was willing to pay for. We ended up talking for about 10 minutes as she went over TV, Internet, voice, cell, etc. In all cases, I told her that I paid less per month and I couldn't understand how ATT couldn't combine all my services and save. It would be nice if such feedback would make it to someone who would actually try to do something different and make a difference but I doubt it.

So, thanks to Sonic for offering up a great alternative to ATT in my area. I'm getting almost 12Mb/s down (actual, the modem claims 14) and 1.2Mb/s up. I hope that companies like Sonic and efforts like Google Fiber help drive this industry in the right direction. Keep up the good work. My neighbor gets his DSL/Voice converted to Sonic on Wednesday and he's excited about it.

peterb
by gp1628 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:07 am
ComCast keeps calling me. The last one actually seemed to understand. She thanked me and hung up when I said "I run a server from my home". (ComCast blocks ports that would allow a home server)
by bobino » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:53 am
gp1628 wrote:ComCast keeps calling me. The last one actually seemed to understand. She thanked me and hung up when I said "I run a server from my home". (ComCast blocks ports that would allow a home server)
Which kind of server? I have a web server (port 80) at home, on comcast, without an issue.

-Bob
by dane » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:11 am
bobino wrote:
gp1628 wrote:ComCast keeps calling me. The last one actually seemed to understand. She thanked me and hung up when I said "I run a server from my home". (ComCast blocks ports that would allow a home server)
Which kind of server? I have a web server (port 80) at home, on comcast, without an issue.

-Bob
It's only an issue if they catch you. Their terms of service ban running any servers at home, unless you have the Business Grade service.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by gp1628 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:02 am
I run a full ISP server. Web, email, ftp, telnet, ssh, and a couple of online worlds. I could even do dialup connectivity if I wanted to.

I thought I had heard that ComCast blocked ports like sendmail
by bobino » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:42 am
Dane's message probably explains my experience. I have a Comcast business account at home (to avoid bandwidth caps). I have a web server but no other servers.

-Bob
by xox » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:45 pm
I should also point out that a customer service rep, during an iPhone support call, offered me "U-verse Fiber" (the 6mb account). I tried to tell her that this was DSL and not fiber, but she seemed to have selective hearing.
by dane » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:15 am
xox wrote:I should also point out that a customer service rep, during an iPhone support call, offered me "U-verse Fiber" (the 6mb account). I tried to tell her that this was DSL and not fiber, but she seemed to have selective hearing.
Yes, they've been doing this door-to-door too. "We are installing fiber in your neighborhood, and would like to sign you up." It's intentionally misleading, in my opinion. U-verse is DSL, not fiber.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cataha » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:50 pm
dane wrote: ....... in my opinion. U-verse is DSL, not fiber.
I fully agree to that too, for now
I have a ALOT of wifi's around me so went out and test it out.
It shows as a 32MB but only allows about 600-800KBs and not for a long period of time as well....
Or is shows as a 16MBs and a similar story....
A few months back i seen how couple of DUDES was installing U-Verse...... I think it's kinda misrepresentation
Fiber goes ONLY to a GreenBOX(distro panel) and not to an individual home
9 posts Page 1 of 1