Inbound Fax to Email with FaxLine

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
76 posts Page 3 of 8
by devjfl1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:13 am
I signed up, associated the number to my email account and sent a test fax. I got the email that says the fax was successfully transmitted to phone number. How long does it take to actually show up in my email account?
by devjfl1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:16 am
I received it about 15 minutes later, but the PDF that I sent was rendered useless. I detached the attachment to a folder and opened it. Pure garbage.... This was a standard PDF...nothing special...just a 5 page pdf.
by kgc » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:09 am
devjfl1 wrote:I received it about 15 minutes later, but the PDF that I sent was rendered useless. I detached the attachment to a folder and opened it. Pure garbage.... This was a standard PDF...nothing special...just a 5 page pdf.
Could you be more specific about what "Pure garbage" means? While the service is in testing, we are keeping copies of the inbound faxes so I can review them for quality issues upon reports like this. Do you mind if I look at the contents of the fax and the resulting PDF?

FWIW, most of that delay is probably in the conversion of the fax to transmit it. The cluster of Atom servers currently running the fax services are scheduled to be upgraded to Core-i7 boxes - it turned out that we needed to do a lot of CPU intensive image manipulation to assure high quality outbound faxes than originally expected.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by devjfl1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:18 am
No problem - you have my permission to look at the file. I can also send you the file as I received it in a separate file if you wish
by embarkabroad » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:33 pm
devjfl1 wrote:I received it about 15 minutes later, but the PDF that I sent was rendered useless. I detached the attachment to a folder and opened it. Pure garbage.... This was a standard PDF...nothing special...just a 5 page pdf.
I think devjfl is referring to the quality of the fax. I sent a test fax full of text in 8 point font and the output was barley readable. The PDF was slightly clearer in Sumatra PDF than in Acrobat Reader X. Panning in Reader X, all the text were jumbled together and took a second or two to render.
by kgc » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:47 pm
embarkabroad wrote:
I think devjfl is referring to the quality of the fax. I sent a test fax full of text in 8 point font and the output was barley readable. The PDF was slightly clearer in Sumatra PDF than in Acrobat Reader X. Panning in Reader X, all the text were jumbled together and took a second or two to render.
All my tests show that the quality meets or exceeded any of the standalone machines in the office and was noticeably better than efax. If you print the pdf with 8pt font, send it through a fine resolution fax is the fax on the other end any better?

After many years of using acrobat I finally gave up and realized that there are better PDF readers out there. I've been using foxit, it is faster, doesn't crash my browser with plugin and doesn't have a history of severe remote exploits like Adobe's products do.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by John Pettitt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:22 pm
Bug: email addresses of the form x@y.zz are rejected incorrectly as invalid.
by virtualmike » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:18 pm
Guest wrote:Any chance of getting specific area codes that this supports? It appears 925 isn't one, even though it is a bay area #.
Fusion is deployed in Concord, in the 925 area. If you find a number for someone or something in Concord, you should be able to use that.
by cboyce » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:17 am
John Pettitt wrote:Bug: email addresses of the form x@y.zz are rejected incorrectly as invalid.
Thanks for the report, this has been fixed.
by rnovak » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:15 pm
I just got the survey request and sent a couple of faxes... there seems to be a problem with "Super Fine" faxes.

I've tried two different docs, one with a big empty patch (business letter) and one with relatively little open space (DMV registration renewal).

Sending with Super Fine quality doubled the height but not the width (8031x15400 vs 8031x7700 according to debug attachment).

Sending with Fine quality came through normally.

First time I sent a doc in Super Fine, Adobe Reader said "insufficient data for an image" and showed me something that looked like fonts were missing. Gmail's "View" option showed it double-height elongated.

Second time I sent it, the error wasn't there, but it was still elongated. Same debuginfo.

When I sent this doc to my onesuite.com fax line, it apparently stepped down to Fine on their end and received, well, fine. :)

I sent a graphic--the picture card from a Pendaflex file folder pack--in Photo mode. Adobe Reader couldn't handle it, same error, no image. Gmail's view showed it fairly accurately.

Hope this info helps... I completely understand if the Atoms can't do superfine... but I'd love to see the servers get to that point. My usual use of my fax line is as a networked scanner; I can then search gmail for documents or save them to a file drop service.
76 posts Page 3 of 8