Shell mail is majorly disrupted

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by anatola2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:27 am
I read the MOTD of the previous day that webmail was having problems. I exclusively use shell mail. I do not use Webmail since it is an imprecise management tool; previous problems with webmail didn't seem to affect shell mail for my accounts. But since yesterday, my shell account is missing hundreds (no exaggeration there) of expected mails. Google is showing that I can do administrative commands for various forum for which I am responsible (so I know it isn't a listserv problem.) Mails from all lists, including yahoo forums have ceased to come to my sonic folders. I am also missing receipts for Amazon purchases handled on an alt sonic.net account. I haven't seen discussion of this problem anywhere and nntp via tin seems to be gone.
by anatola2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:57 pm
Mail trickle didn't have a defined pattern. I started to wonder if my procmail recipe has an error since my folder recipes are further down my procmailrc-first.

I decided to disable my procmail-first for the time and mail is coming in, unsorted.

Previous MOTD mention of changes for shell folders of various ref programs was noted some time ago, but there had been no changes is mail behavior until yesterday. I think I have found the probable source of my mail problem.
by kgc » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:29 pm
If you can provide us specific message or queue ids we'll be happy to review our logs. The webmail service issues were completely independent of any issues with mail reception, processing or storage.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by anatola2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:53 pm
Thank you. No need.

I've figured out the problem. In the process I found that a small amount of my gray mail over the years has ended up incorrectly saved in a folder off off my /Mail (main) folder. A good thing I discovered this now.

I have it under control and no mail was lost. Source of the problem: I was examining the procmailrc-first file (in an edit mode) then cancelled editing it due to a distraction (and this would have happened midday yesterday). A stray mark corrupted the manner in which files were shuttled off to folders. I did a cat of all mis-saved msg files into a single new file, moved it to the /Mail folder and when I'm done with it, will delete the source files. Thanks again!
4 posts Page 1 of 1