Block a number?

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
12 posts Page 1 of 2
by stefanl » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:55 am
We sometimes get repeated calls from unethical salespeople. Our number has been on the California and the National Do-Not-Call list for a very long time (I was among the first 10,000 people to sign up, and I made sure we renewed the service back when you still had to renew).

These calls are illegal, but I don't think they care. Sometimes these people call several times a day for weeks at a time. I would like to block these calls. Is it possible for me to block a particular phone number?

-= Stefan
Berkeley, CA
--
Stefan Lasiewski, stefanco.com
by virtualmike » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:51 am
Do you have their numbers? If so, you can file a complaint at donotcall.gov.
by tjj » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:09 am
I know that it is not the optimal way to deal with this, but I just have Google Voice setup to screen my calls. I have all the spammers, telemarketers and others in a group called "Don't Answer" which goes to a disconnected voicemail and all the other valid callers in my address book get forwarded to my cell, land line, valid voicemail, etc. Seems to have cut down on the repeat callers after they get the "line has been disconnected" message a couple of times.
by stefanl » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:43 am
I do have their number, and I have filed complaints at donotcall.gov. And eventually the calls from that particular number stop, probably because the scammer moved to a different number.

But eventually, someone from a different number and possibly from a different company starts calling. The quickest course of action would be to block these calls.

I've considered Google Voice, but it just seems like a layer of complexity on top of our existing phone services. I know some people like it, alot.

-= Stefan
--
Stefan Lasiewski, stefanco.com
by virtualmike » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:47 am
tjj wrote:...I just have Google Voice setup to screen my calls...
That's exactly what I do. Even before I switched to Fusion, I only gave my GV number to various people. I also have a category reserved for those whose calls I don't want to take, though at the moment, they get regular voice mail (so far, not one has left a message, and as soon as someone does, I'll change it to give the "disconnected" message ).
by dane » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:29 pm
We don't have a method to block a number at this time. It's a feature we may consider in future though, as it would be useful!

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by zbarr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:10 am
id love to see a straight to voicemail option for numbers that are not in my friends list. if all phone company's had that feature, telemarketers would need to find a real job.
by tjj » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:30 pm
zbarr wrote:id love to see a straight to voicemail option for numbers that are not in my friends list. if all phone company's had that feature, telemarketers would need to find a real job.
Agreed!
Tage J.
Sonic.net Customer Support
by ultramookie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:57 am
+1 me to the list of people who think this would be an awesome feature to have!

currently, my phone does caller id blocking, but because of the nature of caller id...the phone has to ring once before it does the blocking. if there's a way to block to call from even reaching my phone, that would be total win :)
by jmunowitch » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:25 pm
dane wrote:We don't have a method to block a number at this time. It's a feature we may consider in future though, as it would be useful!

-Dane
Since Sonic.net already has an in with Google...

How about a partnership with Google for Google Voice integration like Sprint? This would make life so much easier...
12 posts Page 1 of 2