Required Modem--Extra 16.3% - 32.5% Per Month?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
143 posts Page 12 of 15
by Jude » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:23 pm
Take the high road, and include the rental in the monthly service fee. Or, even better, let customers have option to buy.
by misujerr » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:11 am
Phew! Just got done reading all 12 page and it is now 2 AM. I just signed up for service tonight (well, last night now.) Thought the rental policy was kind of lame, along with charging more for the fees, but as explained by the salesperson, since you are a reseller, you had to pay more to them (but he never said anything about charging more and ~keeping~ it.)

As the Pace 4111n is readily available, I thought I would appeal to your sense of reason and just buy one rather than renting one. Then I saw this thread. Dane, I think that it is AWEsome that you (or one of your minions) respond to posts here, even whiny sniveling ones. But I just saw you digging yourself deeper and deeper, with your non-answers, evasiveness and obfuscations. "it is what it is" is as bad as "the other guys do it!"

The finally, on page nine, hallelujah! "I hear you! And I'll concede it's an effective price increase." A breath of fresh air, known as the truth. I started to gain back respect for you just by being honest. You never did respond to the question "Why can't we buy a modem?" so I will just take it as "because it makes us money." And you know what, that is a legitimate response, because you are here to make money. So between the $6.50 rental, the $10.50 in fees and taxes ($3 more that ATT) and the $39.95, I'm not really paying that much less than ATT. Plus the $35 one time fee, just because you can. I don't like getting ripped off. Paying more than something is worth is getting ripped off.

But here is why I did it anyway. A (semi) local company, where the CEO actually answers posts, EFF shoutout for privacy and customer transparency, way faster speeds than I get now and added features (only a few of which I will use though.) And it's not Comcraptastic, even though they have faster speeds.
So I am willing to give it a shot. Has Sonic jumped the shark? Remains to be seen. Don't make me regret my decision.
by dane » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:56 am
Thanks for taking the time slog through the whole dialog, and for your feedback. I appreciate it.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dave1021 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:07 am
by Guest » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:41 pm
I also disagree with this extra charge. The Pace 4111n is horrible and after only 14 months with Sonic, the fees will pay off the retail price of the gateway. What happens after that? Do we continue getting charged?

I currently have the Actiontec GT701D modem. The reviews for this modem are far better than the Pace 4111n. Additionally, my modem is cheaper and easier to use, according to other consumers, than the Pace gateway. The Actiontec is also much more reliable.

I currently pay less than Sonic for internet and home phone, but that is only because I've been a customer with AT&T for over 19 years. I only wanted to switch to Sonic because of the faster internet speeds, since my home is not Uverse accessible.

Once Sonic gets rid of this gateway requirement, I will gladly and almost immediately become a customer.
by Guest » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:39 pm
>>> "I currently pay less than Sonic for internet and home phone"

So stay with AT&T !!!

There are only 2 choices people...either
1. Sonic is a better product/value for the price
2. Sonic is not a better product/value for the price

I found that even though I did not agree with the "rental" issue, the FACT was that choice #1 was applicable in my case. I am getting faster internet and paying LESS for internet and phone. If the facts showed that choice #2 was applicable, I would have stayed with AT&T and not gone to the Sonic or Comcast or anyone else's boards to complain that they are not a better value than AT&T.

The bottom line is the bottom line. Do the math.
by jrodman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:34 pm
I really don't see why selling the modem is impossible.
by wa2ibm » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:24 pm
jrodman wrote:I really don't see why selling the modem is impossible.
The modem that Sonic provides has firmware installed that is unique to them. If purchased elsewhere, that firmware would not be present and Sonic would not have the tools that they expect during troubleshooting.
by jrodman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:28 pm
wa2ibm wrote:
The modem that Sonic provides has firmware installed that is unique to them. If purchased elsewhere, that firmware would not be present and Sonic would not have the tools that they expect during troubleshooting.
Which is rather irrelevant; I purchased any number of DSL devices from Sonic in the past.
by dane » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:39 pm
It's not impossible, it's just not what we have chosen to do. The idea with the modem rental is that we are responsible for it, and can replace it if we suspect it is failing. This reduces time on the phone, discussions about having customers buy new equipment if it MIGHT be the problem, site visits, etc. These are key reasons that carriers have moved to renting equipment, in my opinion.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
143 posts Page 12 of 15