drupal install

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by sebfd-bd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:21 am
Is anyone available to help with a basic Drupal install?
by bobino » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:51 am
I have Drupal with multi-site config. What are your questions?

-Bob
by markur » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:27 am
Bob,

You seem to be the most knowledgeable about Drupal installs at Sonic and I am about to rollout my domain that has been languishing for close to a year. I use for DNS email, but now I'm ready to use (a thorough bread) platform. Anything I should know before doing the install, from Mac? Following Drupal video's I've found. I've been with Sonic since 1995 and understand Unix commands. Seems like the installer takes care of most of it, locally and then beyond? Am I correct in that you can do multi-site as in domains under one drupal install and not pay the $10 for every domain with basic hosting?
by bobino » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:39 am
markur wrote: Anything I should know before doing the install, from Mac?
Installing from the Mac should have no effect. I'm a Windows 7 user and can't imagine how it would have any effect. All is done using your shell account and the directory for your website.

I use WinSCP to copy files to Sonic. I login using putty to use unix commands. I also use Drush for many Drupal specific commands. This is for convenience as much of the configuration of Drupal can be done through the site admin pages.

Put the Drupal files in the directory for the domain. Create the mySQL database on Sonic to be used for the Drupal installation. You will need the database info when configuring Drupal (host name, username and password).
markur wrote: Following Drupal video's I've found. I've been with Sonic since 1995 and understand Unix commands. Seems like the installer takes care of most of it, locally and then beyond? Am I correct in that you can do multi-site as in domains under one drupal install and not pay the $10 for every domain with basic hosting?
I have multiple domains hosted by a single installation of Drupal. Each domain has its own database.

I have a one domain on sonic as "Basic Hosting". This gives it a fixed IP address. The other domains are configured to point to that IP address. Drupal takes care of the rest with it's multi-site capability. All my other domains are registered and administered at namecheap.com.

Let me know if you need more help.

-Bob
by markur » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:54 am
That is really cool Bob. I have most of my domains registered at Sonic. What's the cost to host with the other service you mention? If I can use the Sonic Basic hosting and tie in a bunch of my domains using Drupal that would be a big time and money saver.

Mark
by bobino » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:54 pm
markur wrote:That is really cool Bob. I have most of my domains registered at Sonic. What's the cost to host with the other service you mention? If I can use the Sonic Basic hosting and tie in a bunch of my domains using Drupal that would be a big time and money saver.

Mark
This is exactly what I am doing. The cost to register a domain is roughly the same at sonic and at namecheap (depending on the upper level domain: .com, .us, etc), the difference is that the DNS service is included at namecheap and it costs $2/month at sonic.

Namecheap has an excellent reputation. My only experience is with domain registration, transfers and DNS services. I am perfectly satisfied.

Here's a link: namecheap.com (that's an affiliate link where I get a small commission if you buy something).

-Bob
6 posts Page 1 of 1