SF Sunset District questions...

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by Dan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:41 pm
Hi everyone,

I've lived in Sunset 10+ years, always had AT&T DSL (liked it, 7-9Mbps) until January 2011, switched to Comcast for cheap 12 month promotion (LOVED it, 17-22Mbps) then switched to an AT&T U-Verse promotion in February 2012 when Comcast jacked rates 3X and wouldn't budge to keep me. I'm still with U-Verse and the only modem they've supplied (and replaced) constantly drops from DNS issues and my speed tests have never once hit 12Mbps which is the advertised rate. I think even Einstein would scratch his head at their billing system. Coincidentally I'd also like to have a land line with Caller ID and Long Distance when my iPhone signal becomes dodgy...

After some research, it appears my other two options are Sonic Fusion ($39, web/phone, no limit) and Comcast ($39, web/phone, 6 months). I would like to have more options (Astound, Monkeybrains, etc.) based on testimonials and offers, but they don't service my zip yet. My questions for Sonic are:

#1: I have entered my AT&T land line number into sonic.net over the last 2-3 months and I'm getting results ranging from 6,000 to 10,000 to 4,500 ft as of today. Do I need to call in to get a bonafide answer as to what my average d/l speed will be? Also, what are your current caps?

#2: I am glad you guys are supplying equipment now without a hefty upfront fee, but unless I've read incorrectly, you want $150 for a tech to come out when I've already got AT&T in my home and can most likely do the install myself?

#3: I have read varying testimonials about how long it takes to start service. If I request service TODAY how long would I realistically wait to begin service? My zip is 94116.

Thanks,
Dan
by dane » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:53 pm
Dan wrote:#1: I have entered my AT&T land line number into sonic.net over the last 2-3 months and I'm getting results ranging from 6,000 to 10,000 to 4,500 ft as of today. Do I need to call in to get a bonafide answer as to what my average d/l speed will be? Also, what are your current caps?

#2: I am glad you guys are supplying equipment now without a hefty upfront fee, but unless I've read incorrectly, you want $150 for a tech to come out when I've already got AT&T in my home and can most likely do the install myself?

#3: I have read varying testimonials about how long it takes to start service. If I request service TODAY how long would I realistically wait to begin service? My zip is 94116.

Thanks,
Dan
Here are answers to your questions:

#1: There are no usage caps here. The prequal results for your address shouldn't change, but the prequal back-end was recently updated, and we have seen some shift in results. We think the new results are at least as accurate as the old ones, so go with what's displayed. To get data on the average speed customers are receiving today at a given distance, see: https://wiki.sonic.net/images/6/6b/DS_a ... stance.pdf

#2: Residential service where a new loop is installed requires a technician visit, currently $75.00. The way around this would be switching from standard AT&T land-line voice (not IP voice, U-Verse voice, or another carrier, only AT&T plain old land-line) to Fusion. In this case, as it's already wired up and working in the premise, you will self-install. See details about equipment and installation in the equipment section of the Fusion sales page at http://www.sonic.net/solutions/home/internet/fusion/

#3: Typical delivery interval is five to business days, but if a technician installation is required because it is a new loop, there may be a backlog - we're struggling to find enough installers for all the new orders. Do not disconnect your current service provider until we deliver service.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Sam Bishop » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:24 pm
Heya Dane,

I've been following Sonic.net for ages now, watching the Sebastapol buildout and slowly growing more and more green with envy. On the of the biggest reasons is the current situation I'm in right now. I live near 28th Ave and Taraval out here in the Sunset and realistically we have a single option: Comcast and their exorbitant rates (I'm up to about $80/mo for a 16/4 connection) and run a business here from home that does a huge volume of media uploads (it's a video game site I've run for the past 15 years, so lots of HD screens and video). Even if the DSL downstream was decent (it isn't, we're so far from the CO a proper data rate can't even be guaranteed), the upstream would be so paltry as to make it impossible for me to work.

For literally over a decade, this has been the way it is. Realistically, we have only one option, and Comcast has me over a barrel because they know there's no alternative. I'm sure my story's not uncommon, but it's incredibly frustrating to see a buildout happening that stops just a few blocks away from something that would be a godsend for my business and would allow me to support a company that seems keenly committed to taking care of the customer first and hand-over-fist profits somewhere in a very close second (hey, a business can't help clients if they aren't taking care of the house and employees too).

I guess what I'm asking -- pleading for, really -- is for any inkling of an indication that you guys might end up moving a few blocks farther south at this point. Words cannot express how frustrating it is to have to put up with a monopoly and to see the edge of real, unrestricted, honest-to-goodness Future Tech waiting just a few blocks away (or at least will be soon). I'm a poor small business owner, and everything you guys are doing makes me want to throw my pennies in your direction, but I do understand this kind of stuff takes time and infrastructure. Just know there definitely folks on the outskirts of the current build map that would sing the praises of Sonic.net from the rooftops if given a chance to finally break out of this Comcast prison.

Keep up the great work!
-Sam
3 posts Page 1 of 1