Fiber in Burlingame?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
20 posts Page 1 of 2
by krauster » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:22 pm
Any plans to bring fiber to Burlingame?;
by irenazakrajsek » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:21 pm
An ATT tech told me that there is fiber along Occidental Avenue in Burlingame Park, not sure where else in town.
by irenazakrajsek » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:28 pm
I received this email few days ago. Hopefully this is real and not the equivalent of Porsche announcing and electric car three years ago with nothing ion the road yet...

CONGRATULATIONS!
Sonic is bringing Gigabit Fiber Internet + Home Phone to your neighborhood! Since you're already a Sonic customer, you'll be first in line when it's time to upgrade. Gigabit Fiber is up to 20x faster and the same price (or cheaper!) than your current Sonic service. We'll contact you as soon as you can upgrade -- don't worry, we know where to find you.

Gigabit Fiber FAQ

What is Gigabit Fiber Internet?

We're so glad you asked. Gigabit Fiber internet is an ultra-fast internet connection with symmetric speeds of up to 1000Mbps, 20x faster than the average internet connection in America. Want to know what speeds you're getting now? Check your speeds here.

It sounds AWESOME! How much will this cost me?

It is awesome and the best part is, it's the same price or cheaper than the service you're currently receiving from us; $40/mo, plus taxes and fees. It's the fastest, cheapest internet in your city.

What about WiFi?

Sonic partners with eero to deliver unbeatable WiFi coverage for homes of every size and shape. For more information on a comprehensive, total-home WiFi solution for any home, you can learn more about eero here.

Can I get TV service through Sonic?

You sure can! We partner with DISH TV for cable packages, and we also offer Sling TV if you're into streaming.

Do I need to pre-order service or do anything right now?

Nope! Since you're already a Sonic customer, we will email you as soon as you can upgrade. We don't have final delivery timelines, but we're making progress in new neighborhoods each week. You'll be receiving regular monthly updates to let you know the progress we're making in your area and when you can expect to receive Gigabit Fiber service. So, stay tuned, and we'll let you know as soon as you can schedule your installation.

Thanks for your continued support! We're excited to bring you the fastest, cheapest internet in your city.
by joekitch » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:09 pm
Got the same email a few days ago and i live in the lower pacific heights neighborhood of SF
My worry is this is an early early notice and we won't actually get fiber for many months to a year of roll-out

that said, the porsche taycan is supposedly landing next year with a production version reveal this September and sales starting near the end of the year
https://www.motor1.com/news/308591/pors ... er-reveal/
by irenazakrajsek » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:28 pm
Still no fiber in Burlingame, and no viable EV other than Tesla for that matter
by irenazakrajsek » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:16 pm
Got another lame marketing email from sonic, essentially saying nothing and yes still no fiber. Odd approach, they are not building excitement they are making fools of themselves. Just email when it's available already.

And Taycans still not out and BTW have no charging network, kind of the right analogy. Sonic fiber = taycan. Wait years and dribble out spam but no product available.
by dane » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:36 pm
We get complaints when we do not provide status updates. Now, complaints when we do. Can’t win, it seems.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by irenazakrajsek » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:41 pm
Easy to win Dane- just tell me roughly when, after being loyal to sonic for over a decade, I can shut my friends up who have dpi/google spyware accelerator Comcast that is 5X faster than sonic at same cost

Have you approved the emails we receive? They don’t set any expectation or provide concrete updates
by dane » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:13 am
irenazakrajsek wrote:Easy to win Dane- just tell me roughly when, after being loyal to sonic for over a decade, I can shut my friends up who have dpi/google spyware accelerator Comcast that is 5X faster than sonic at same cost

Have you approved the emails we receive? They don’t set any expectation or provide concrete updates
We used to provide our internal projected network activation dates, but then had issues in a number of cities with local permitting that created substantial delays. We also had problems with contractors not meeting their time-frames, for a variety of reasons. The delays upset consumers who had been told by us that we'd be ready on a certain date, but which we couldn't now meet due to the permitting and construction delays.

Because so many components are not within our own control, it's really challenging to assure that any date would be right. So now we don't provide dates. We feel like it's better to not make a promise that we cannot keep. This is why the updates are limited to initially the stages of construction, then later the percentage of the region actually activated. The goal is to demonstrate progress and provide as much transparency as possible, without raising false expectations.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ziljr » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:34 pm
Thank you, Dane. Some of us--what I hope are a silent majority--appreciate your transparency and effort to ensure communications are clear without raising false hopes or expectations,

And to answer (so very very late) the person who said, "just tell us when it is ready," well... they've never run a business. One can't spend the money to build out the infrastructure in the _hopes_ that _someone_ might buy it. There're few accurate ways to gauge demand that don't involve making people contact you. A simple survey is useless, since everyone will say "yes," but far fewer will actually make a switch.

Paul
20 posts Page 1 of 2