Can't connect to MySQL database from Dreamweaver

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by motsat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:17 pm
Hi, I used to be able to connect from Dreamweaver to our database motsat_4 on Sonic. I can no longer do this. I get various error message which I will upload. I am using Dreamweaver CS3, and I tried to connect from computers that have CS4 and CS5, and none of them could connect. I tried creating a test database from scratch, motsat_test, and got another error, a timeout error from the host. I can connect to motsat_4 through Navicat, just not through Dreamweaver. I have literally spent hours on this today and am very frustrated. Please help.
by kgc » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:54 am
Users may only connect to the database servers directly from our web and shell servers. We used to allow direct connections but haven't for some time. If you need to connect from another system for development reasons the easiest solution would be to use ssh port forwarding to proxy the connection through the shell server. This is quite easy to setup and should be more or less transparent to your application. In a unix/mac command line, it would look like

$ssh user@shell.sonic.net -L 3306:your_db_hostname:3306

Then you'd configure your app to to use localhost:3306 as the database server hostname and port.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by Malfar » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:35 pm
This is quite easy to setup and should be more or less transparent to your application. In a unix/mac command line, it would look like...
What would us window users need to do? I'm trying to use MySQL Workbench. I see there is a method for connecting using SSH, but my knowledge on the subject is minimal. Any assistance you can provide would be helpful.

Thank you!
by kgc » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:03 am
You should be able to use ssh as well - a free client like putty will also allow you to setup the SSH port forwarding required to be able to talk directly to the SQL servers from a desktop application.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
4 posts Page 1 of 1