Can't run patch command in SSH

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by dibble » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:16 am
I am trying to execute a security patch from SSH and find that the 'patch' command isn't being found. Is there an explicit path I need to prepend to it, or is it just not available?

-dib
by thulsa_doom » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:29 pm
On shell.sonic.net:
$ which patch
/usr/bin/patch
and
$ patch --version
patch 2.5.4
Copyright 1984-1988 Larry Wall
Copyright 1989-1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute copies of this program
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

written by Larry Wall and Paul Eggert
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by dibble » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:01 pm
I think not:

-bash-4.1$ /usr/bin/patch
-bash: /usr/bin/patch: No such file or directory

-dibble
by thulsa_doom » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:57 pm
Ah, this must be for a custom hosting setup. My apologies. I'll defer to our systems folks, then. I don't see it in the path on my custom hosting, either.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by dibble » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:29 pm
Yes, is it a custom hosting installation.

Here is the which result:

-bash-4.1$ which patch
/usr/bin/which: no patch in (/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin)
by dibble » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:10 pm
I have personal website hosting on a different Sonic account. Since the 'patch' command is available there, I will create a dummy install of the package I need to patch, run the patch command to update the affected files, then manually compare/install those files back to the custom web hosting installation.

It's a clunky solution. I'd rather be able to run patches on the custom hosting system. Why is 'patch' available on personal hosting and not custom hosting?

dib
by joemuller » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:07 am
I've taken the opportunity to install 'patch' on your Custom Hosting. I'm not sure the exact reason why that utility isn't installed by default, but the reason why this isn't a problem on Personal Hosting is because our web cluster is running a different distribution.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by dibble » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:57 pm
The patch command is available now; I've performed the patch and backed out the workaround.

dib
8 posts Page 1 of 1