loading my page from iweb to my new domain

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by Diana Strong » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:25 pm
I'm having trouble getting my page to upload. I built it using iweb, and have entered all the information correctly from sonic. When I hit "test connection" it says "the directory/path couldn't be found. Verify your settings and try again". I just spent like 40 minutes on the phone with tech support and in the end he said he can't help me but try the forums.

Anyone got ideas?
by Diana Strong » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:15 pm
New information, in case anyone out there is able to help (please??)

Deleting the path information got it to publish, however when we went to the site, it said "forbidden" (but from iweb, it appeared to have published).

Someone at sonic had me try SFTP as my selected protocol instead of FTP. This caused a longer log in time, followed by the response that my password is incorrect.

I've also been told that the forums are where supposedly these kinds of issues are handled... so far the phone guys have been very diligent about trying to help, but unable to help so far. Please help! It really makes no sense to have free web hosting if I can't use it. Thank you!!!
by dane » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:53 pm
What is "iweb"?

What path to the web directory do you have set in this software?

What server have you configured it to connect to?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tjj » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:54 pm
Hello Diana,

From my experience with iWeb (Apple's iLife web publishing software), the main file is titled something other than index.html, which is what our web servers look for when loading your site. You will want to make sure that the main or front page of your site has a file name of index.html to work correctly. I am not sure how to change this in iWeb off the top of my head, but someone else may know.
Tage J.
Sonic.net Customer Support
by cailyn » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:45 pm
Hi Diana,

I am not using sonic.net hosting service but am a user of iWeb. I was having very similar trouble when updating using iWeb to my mac mini server.

iWeb has built in functionality that you cannot override in looking for the Apache web server. I was told from AppleCare that your website will automatically be published to a sub-folder. Index.html can work as the index in the subfolder. I think you might have to setup a workaround in DNS. If sonic.net is hosting your DNS they can probably create a record that will point to the sub-folder.

http://www.RootstockFestival.com is our website built in iWeb. You will see that it first goes to a sub=folder /rootstock/index.html before returning the page.

If you have any more questions you can also email me cailynq@me.com
good luck!
by haiku99 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:45 am
An old thread, but I ran into this myself today and found a fix. I could not get iweb to upload my new page to the correct directory though it did upload to a default directory if I left the path field blank, but of course this did not make the page visible. I ended up saving the site to my desktop, renaming the site folder per the instructions on the Sonic hosting help page https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Web_Publishing_FAQ, then uploading it to the correct directory using Cyberduck (a free ftp client program)

edit: found more on all this after figuring it out the hard way ;-)

http://iwebfaq.org/site/iWeb_Folder_FTP.html
by cailyn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:27 am
Just recently worked on this with another website http://sairakhan.net/s/home.html

The trick was the FTP path, in fact it got so convoluted that Sonic graciously deleted her folder and re-created it along with the correct permissions.

1. We published to her local desktop
2. We uploaded via FileZilla to:
/home/[first letter of sonic.net user name/[username/public_html/[domain name

This created some of our permissions errors but should work directly for most people.

After the files were uploaded and correctly viewing on the web and sonic fixed the permissions errors, we were able to automatically maintain the website via iweb using the correct FTP directory information.

If you need any help, feel free to email me Cailyn@CreativeFurnace.com
7 posts Page 1 of 1