Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 32 of 64
by Bigwilliestyle » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:10 pm
I live right near Sacramento St and 67th St. 94702. Any update on our ETA? Are we being delayed along with west berkeley or will we be seeing activation sooner?
by SonicCustomerOnMcGee » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:41 pm
Can someone (@dane?) tell me what the blocker is for delivering fiber to my location (2200 block of McGee Ave, Berkeley, 94703, near Allston Way)?

From Sonic's March update, it sounds like it's a permitting issue with the City of Berkeley. However, the office of my representative on the Berkeley city council claims that the blocker is getting permission from PG&E to share their utility poles--and that resolving this is out of Berkeley's hands.

If the City of Berkeley is the hold-up, I'd like to know so that I can pester^H^H^H^H^H^H reach out to my city representatives and apply friendly pressure to move things along. :) I will also try to get other neighbors involved, if it's a city issue.

Thanks in advance!
by igorru » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:10 pm
I believe the permit number in question is U2018-00246. It was submitted in December and was due in January.

https://permits.cityofberkeley.info/Com ... nspection=
by anmutation » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:42 pm
igorru wrote:I believe the permit number in question is U2018-00246. It was submitted in December and was due in January.

https://permits.cityofberkeley.info/Com ... nspection=
Thanks, igorru! How can I tell what the the work is for (in case you know)? I just want to arm myself with as many useful facts as possible, before I start pushing my representatives on this.
by ChrisW » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:44 pm
SonicCustomerOnMcGee wrote:Can someone (@dane?) tell me what the blocker is for delivering fiber to my location (2200 block of McGee Ave, Berkeley, 94703, near Allston Way)?

From Sonic's March update, it sounds like it's a permitting issue with the City of Berkeley. However, the office of my representative on the Berkeley city council claims that the blocker is getting permission from PG&E to share their utility poles--and that resolving this is out of Berkeley's hands.

If the City of Berkeley is the hold-up, I'd like to know so that I can pester^H^H^H^H^H^H reach out to my city representatives and apply friendly pressure to move things along. :) I will also try to get other neighbors involved, if it's a city issue.

Thanks in advance!
Despite what our city-council representative’s office told you, I’m willing to bet that it’s stuck in Berkeley permit-approval limbo. As I understand, PG&E is required to share access to the poles as long as they aren’t overloaded. The poles may belong to PG&E, but they’re on city property, so the city has some jurisdiction over them. Anyway, Dane, and Sonic in general, have been frank about PG&E access issues when they’ve occurred elsewhere, and I haven’t seen any mention of such here.

So what makes me think permit approval is the hold-up? Last October, Sonic applied for two permits for new service in south-central and southwest Berkeley, U2018-00246 and U2018-00247. If I read the Berkeley permits website correctly, they both went for Public Works review in early December and they’ve been stuck there ever since. Why? Maybe it’s a PG&E-related issue, but PG&E didn’t seem to have a problem with overhead fiber deployment north of University or east of Shattuck.

My guess is that the permits got stuck when Public Works was made aware that Sonic’s pole-mounted splitter cabinets exceed the maximum dimensions specified in Berkeley’s Aesthetic Guidelines for PROW Permits, a document written in 2011 as part of an effort to regulate the deployment of pole-mounted 4G cellphone equIpment and other non-traditional telecom infrastructure. The problem is that the size limits specified, 10” wide x 12” deep with a 4 cu. foot maximum volume, make a lot more sense for an antenna enclosure than they do for a splitter cabinet. The good news is that these are guidelines adopted by the City Manager, not part of the Municipal Code, so they should, in principle, be negotiable. The bad news is that the negotiations have gone on for four months already, with no apparent end in sight.

So what can we do about it? I certainly plan to contact my city council representative about it, as was suggested in the latest Sonic email update. Unless Dane or some other Sonic representative tells me it would be counterproductive, I also plan to contact the mayor and the City Manager and the Public Works Department Director and I’ll encourage my neighbors and other interested parties to do the same. These people are working for us, they represent us, and they need to know that we support locally owned, net-neutral, privacy-friendly, speedy, economical alternatives to the AT&T/Comcast duopoly.
by anmutation » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:00 pm
I should say: I can tell from the permit link you provided (thanks! :) ) that the work is telecom-related and involves excavation. But I can't tell what regions of Berkeley are being held up by the stall in work related to this particular permit. (In other words, is my representative on the city council the one who will feel the most pressure to fix this?)

I imagine which regions of Berkeley are affected is maybe a question for someone on sonic's side?

In any case, I'll ask my representative to please look into expediting this process for Berkeley, in general.
by denisonjohnston » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:18 am
dane wrote:
denisonjohnston wrote:I signed up over a year ago, and have not gotten any recent updates. Could get an idea when I would get service? I am at 2733 California Street in Berkeley.
We've been sending out monthly updates the last few months, have you not received those from us? Let me know if not, we should run that down!

Your FDA was to go live on 3/4/2019, and we're a couple days beyond that, so there's some sort of completion issue that must be holding us up. Sorry I don't have any specifics right now, the people I'd inquire with are not in today.
Any update on this Dane? My Comcast bill is due 3/22...
by dane » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:36 am
@dennis,

I’m at a conference today and don’t have quick access to the GIS. Will check it when I’m back.

But regarding your current carrier billing, they’ll pro-rate to the day of your disconnect, so it doesn’t matter exactly when that occurs, you won’t end up paying for service you do not need.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Zandr » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:55 am
Heads up to those on Comcast Business waiting for fiber: While I'm out of contract, there is still a 60-day notice required for disconnect, so you'll be stuck paying for two more months.

I've dropped down to "starter" service to minimize that expense now that the fiber is in. I haven't contacted Sonic billing yet to see if that qualifies as an ETF for credit on my Sonic bill.
by Zandr » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:38 pm
Unsurprisingly, those two months are not considered an ETF, and therefore not eligible for credit. This has left me a bit grumpy, as the official silence on rollout dates meant I could not have reasonably avoided those two months by sending a notice of cancellation.

Also, I was foolish enough to remain a Sonic customer while waiting for fiber, which also disqualifies me from this promotion as well as from the reduced initial rates. As I've mentioned here before, it also disqualified me from any updates on the fiber rollout aside from hanging out in this forum.
640 posts Page 32 of 64