Shell server redux

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
46 posts Page 1 of 5
by scott » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:32 pm
Have noticed some folks still using the old shell server, which we would like to shut down asap.

Is there something we've missed on the new shell server?

-Scott
by jaw » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:51 pm
Hi, could you please post the name of the new shell server? I know you sent that out a while ago, but I can't find that message. Is it different from bolt? Or do I just need to change the name in my Windows settings?

By the way, when I tried to preview this message, I got a message saying "your user name is already in use, please choose an alternative." That's why I'm using this bogus username ("jaw") - I don't have any other alternative. My username is jwermont.

Thanks,
J. Wermont
by jaw » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:56 pm
Also, why is there a note (under "Who is online" at the bottom of this page) saying that the only people logged into the shell server are on as guests? I'm logged in under my usual user name, jwermont.
by scott » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:35 pm
jaw wrote:Also, why is there a note (under "Who is online" at the bottom of this page) saying that the only people logged into the shell server are on as guests? I'm logged in under my usual user name, jwermont.
Hi,

You can reach the new shell server by connecting to shell.sonic.net. For more information (such as key fingerprints and such), please visit https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Shell_Access .

Regarding this page -- it is just a forum, it doesn't reflect who is currently logged onto the shell server itself.

Hope that helps. :)

-Scott
by pescado » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:35 pm
Would it be possible to get IPv6 functionality enabled on sh.sonic.net prior to decommissioning bolt.sonic.net? Bolt has possessed this functionality for ages. I contacted support some months prior, I was told IPv6 was on the roadmap but not implemented yet. Any update? Appreciate your help as always.
by jaw » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:41 pm
Hi, I have some questions about accessing the shell on the new server. First, is the server name sh.sonic.net or shell.sonic.net? I've seen both of these on different pages on Sonic's website. I've tried both, and got this error message: "Algorithm negotiation failed. Key exchange with the remote host failed." I'm not sure what this means.

Second, on the shell access page, it specifies the following:

ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:3Shjz0z7pf5EhaJuPaq4Dij92qFd34dRl9pbeNZAtWk.
ECDSA key fingerprint is MD5:72:68:03:a1:6c:c3:48:5c:13:04:b7:4d:91:b3:5c:5d.

I don't know where to enter this information. I tried the settings on my ssh client, but it's not clear where this information goes. There are different kinds of keys, Public keys and Host keys. I need to import a file containing the information, but when I constructed a new file, I was unable to find it in the Import function. This might be an issue with my ssh client, so maybe you can't help with that. However, there must be some standard settings where one would set the key fingerprint, right?

I also don't know how to set up IMAP. Would this also be configured in the ssh client, or in Windows (7), or both?

Thanks,
J. Wermont
by imanon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:28 pm
I read my email using rmail in emacs, and there's no good way that I've found to set that up with IMAP. So I'll be very sad to no longer be able to handle my email in emacs--and I'll keep using rmail to the bitter end!
by mdb » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:32 am
The new shell server seems to disconnect more quickly than the old shell.

It can be useful to use SSH’s ControlMaster so that it is not necessary to always re-authenticate while still allowing backup processes to run out of a home crontab. This is why I am still using the old shell server.

I must admit that I am also syncing my mailbox from sonic and reading email at home using emacs.
by apl » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:07 pm
I use gnus for reading mail within emacs.
Just set IMAP as your select method:
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "imap"
(nnimap-address "imap.sonic.net")
(nnimap-stream tls)))
(setq mail-sources nil)
by drew.phillips » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:06 pm
jaw wrote:Hi, I have some questions about accessing the shell on the new server. First, is the server name sh.sonic.net or shell.sonic.net? I've seen both of these on different pages on Sonic's website. I've tried both, and got this error message: "Algorithm negotiation failed. Key exchange with the remote host failed." I'm not sure what this means.

Second, on the shell access page, it specifies the following:

ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:3Shjz0z7pf5EhaJuPaq4Dij92qFd34dRl9pbeNZAtWk.
ECDSA key fingerprint is MD5:72:68:03:a1:6c:c3:48:5c:13:04:b7:4d:91:b3:5c:5d.

I don't know where to enter this information. I tried the settings on my ssh client, but it's not clear where this information goes. There are different kinds of keys, Public keys and Host keys. I need to import a file containing the information, but when I constructed a new file, I was unable to find it in the Import function. This might be an issue with my ssh client, so maybe you can't help with that. However, there must be some standard settings where one would set the key fingerprint, right?

I also don't know how to set up IMAP. Would this also be configured in the ssh client, or in Windows (7), or both?

Thanks,
J. Wermont
Hi jaw,

sh.sonic.net and shell.sonic.net are the same, shell is an alias to sh.

The error message you are getting about algorithm negotiation failing most likely means your SSH client is outdated and can't use the newer encryption algorithms required by the server. First try looking for a newer version of the client you are using. If you need assistance there, let us know what application you're using to connect.

The key fingerprints are posted for reference. Typically when connecting for the first time, your client will ask you to verify that the host you are connecting to is the one you intend to connect to by showing you it's host key. You simply can compare what the client shows you to what we have on our site to ensure the connection is safe (or ignore it and say Yes to the connection). These keys don't need to be input into your client anywhere.

Lastly, are you using pine on the current shell server to read your mail? If you want to continue using shell to read your mail, you will need to set up IMAP on the shell server. If you don't care to continue using shell and want to use a desktop client, you can configure an email program on your desktop (e.g. Thunderbird, emClient) to use IMAP to read mail.

I hope that helps.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
46 posts Page 1 of 5