What does this newsserver error mean?

General discussions and other topics.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by virtualmike » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:22 pm
I use Forté Agent to access Usenet, through news.sonic.net. This has worked well for the past four years. However, tonight, I'm getting an error message that's different from anything I've seen in the past:
400 nnrp1.nntp.sonic.net: Your host connection limit reached - news@sonic.net.
This is preventing me from connecting AT ALL to the newsserver. In other words, it's not a case that Agent successfully makes one connection, and then I receive the error for the second connection. This is occurring on all connection attempts.

Agent does have the ability to open multiple connections to transfer more than one article at a time. I have it configured to limit to 2 connections for retrieving bodies, just so that I don't hog bandwidth and processing power.

At 10:38, I had Agent go retrieve the article headers for a subset of groups that I read, and it was successful. After marking the articles that I want to read, I sent Agent back to retrieve those bodies. That's when I started getting the error.

In the past, I've occasionally gotten:
481 (remote) (hcl:sonicnet;50.0.xx.xx) exceeded maximum number of connections per IP.
That makes sense. But I can't figure out why the error at the top is different.

I exited Agent, checked netstat to ensure there were no connections to news.sonic.net, and then restarted it. However, as soon as I told it to go fetch the article bodies, I immediately got the same error.

Even weirder is that I told Agent to go fetch headers from some different newsgroups. Even as I was staring at the "Your host connection limit..." error, I saw Agent retrieve headers from seven different groups.

I upgraded Agent to the latest version (7) early last week, but I've used it with no problem several times, until I ran into this issue.

Any ideas?
by suyash » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:40 pm
I'm having trouble connecting to news.sonic.net as well, not able to refresh any groups or pull any new headers.
by Michael » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:15 am
As of 12:15 AM on 2012-06-11, test connections to news.sonic.net returned no errors. I'm not using Agent.
by Michael » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:27 am
Please disregard forum post time. I am not posting from a different time zone or from the future. The reason for the time discrepancy has a more human explanation, someone from Sonic forgot to adjust the clock.
by suyash » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:33 am
Seems to be working fine now! :)
by virtualmike » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:43 am
Michael wrote:Please disregard forum post time. ... someone from Sonic forgot to adjust the clock.
Turn on Daylight Savings Time in the User Control Panel. :mrgreen:
by Michael » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:56 pm
Nah. That would require logging into the forum. Besides, there are certain advantages leaving it this way. <BG>
by rosefam » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:29 pm
Here it is April 3, 2013 and I'm also getting the prompt "400 nnrp1.nntp.sonic.net: Your host connection limit reached - news@sonic.net."
Technical support tells me that they don't support UseNet even though they, Sonic, offer the service. Tech support blew me off, and told me to come here to the forums for information. Here at the forums, no one seems to have the answer. Nice run around :O(

If it is beyond their control, I don't no why they can't just tell me so. I'm not a happy customer.
by patty1 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:11 pm
Rosefam, sorry I can't answer your question about Forte Agent, but I wonder whether the error you're getting is related to my problems using trn today. I can view newsgroups, but as soon as I try to view an individual message, the system hangs. Badly. I can't even Ctrl-C out of it; I have to abort the connection to the Sonic shell by closing my SSH window.

I haven't bothered contacting Sonic support because I know I'll get the same "we don't support Usenet" answer that you did. But sometimes Kelsey will kick the Usenet server, so maybe he'll see our postings and do it again. :D
by jronne » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:36 pm
news.sonic.net, host connection limit reached ...
11 posts Page 1 of 2