AutoPOP not functioning

General discussions and other topics.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by andielvi » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:57 am
I'm starting a new thread since my previous post was a reply to another post... This time also took time to login...

The Sonic AutoPOP feature/service hasn't worked for me since about May 24th, 2018.

I have deleted and recreated all my AutoPOP configured profiles after first verifying that the server, port, username, password and related settings for each of them was correct and functional. I thought this might "fix" the problem but, it didn't.

I then contacted Sonic support directly via email and realized after a brief exchange that the Sonic email support staff didn't know enough about "AutoPOP", what it is and how it works to provide any useful feedback or help.

So, I called Sonic support only to be told that they didn't know enough about AutoPOP and how it worked to be able to help me either, sorry... they then told me that for any help I would need to turn to the Sonic Forums...

So, here I am, hoping to get some real assistance ;)
Andy
by drew.phillips » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:26 pm
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the heads up and sorry for the delay in getting this resolved. It looks like the autopop service had stopped working and due to a recent server migration, it was not properly monitored.

It is once again working and we tested to ensure that we'll be alerted if the service fails in the future.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by andielvi » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:42 pm
Hi Drew,

Thanks VERY much for fixing the AutoPOP (Mail-Fetch) feature!

I've verified that it is once again working w/ all my configured accounts. It's really helpful to have it back.

Other members of the Sonic Support Team previously acknowledged that there was a problem with the AutoPOP service but, had apparently given up and told me that they would not be trying to find or fix the problems...

Since the broken AutoPOP issues are now resolved, please close the related Sonic Support Ticket #5233103.

An additional question...
What is the current frequency of the AutoPOP polling and can it be shortened?

Thanks,
Andy
by drew.phillips » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:01 pm
Hi Andy,

I'm sorry we acknowledged that there was a problem without escalating it up to Operations to investigate and find that a labs service was totally broken. AutoPOP was recently migrated to a new system and the breakdown was that there was an issue monitoring to make sure the service was properly running so no one over here was alerted that it wasn't fetching new mail. Thank you for persisting and bringing it to the forums so we could identify and correct the problem. At this point, the service is running and being monitored correctly for failure.

The current frequency of polling is every 20 minutes. I can investigate if it's viable to shorten that a bit. AutoPOP is meant to be a migration tool rather than a permanent solution for getting 3rd party email into Sonic though I understand most people are using it for the latter reason today.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by andielvi » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:27 pm
Hi Drew,

No-one I've encountered in real-life, including myself and certainly no company is perfect. What separates the gold nuggets from the river-mud gravel is those individuals and companies that don't sit on their laurels, basking in the glory of past successes and accomplishments.

Solving the AutoPOP ("Mail-Fetch") problems and explaining in detail where/how systems and human communication failed and how you and the other Sonic support staff eventually resolved the issues deserves Kudos! This is what makes Sonic such a shiny and unique "Gold-Nugget",
:)
Andy

P.S. As far as the Auto-POP polling interval of 20 minutes is concerned, if it can be reduced that would be great but, I'd down-vote if you judge it may potentially compromise service reliability or cause service queuing bottlenecks that may ultimately negate a shortened polling interval...
by nyc.expat » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:08 pm
Relatedly, sort of: Just canceled Comcast, have successfully (sort of ) set up an autoPOP to fetch my emails -- former Comcast users, note the correct port is actually 995, not 110 -- and was relying on the assurance that "autoPOP can automatically generate an email for people who send you mail at your old ISP letting them know that your address has changed."

Maybe it can, but it's not. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?
by andielvi » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:32 am
AutoPOP only functions with valid email accounts that are currently active and allow POP3 and/or IMAP remote authenticated connections. Once you canceled Comcast your account and email service with them was likely disabled. If you were AutoPOPing from them sucessfully before the account was closed/disabled it certainly would no longer work after the Comcast account was canceled and disabled. The Sonic AutoPOP (Mail-Fetch) service would no longer be able to login and poll for email using your previous email account credentials.

The optional Sonic AutoPOP feature that can "generate an email for people who send you mail at your old ISP" and similar options offered by some other email providers are not always reliable. This is NOT because of Sonic services but the inherent unreliability of email routing due to aggressive email filtering and other policies and strategies pervassive accross the internet. Of course this optional AutoPOP feature also can only work while AutoPOPing email items from an active valid email account.
by nyc.expat » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:16 am
Thanks, Andy. Spoke with support and it seems the website overpromises a bit. In any case, you might be interested in this page from Comcast's site -- I only found it after realizing autoPOP wasn't an option -- which says comcast.net email addresses remain active even after you cancel your account. We'll see...

https://xfin.tv/2MBs0LQ
by andielvi » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:40 pm
Very interesting, I was not aware of the Comcast Email policy for users who have Disconnected Services with them. That does seem like a very customer-friendly policy! It seems like accessing your email directly or via AutoPOP should work out nicely!

Just a thought... maybe Comcast/Xfinity would allow you to set up an Auto-Responder for the email address(s) on your account. That might be a slightly more reliable way of automatically notifying senders to your old address(s) of your new email address.

All the best to you!
by nyc.expat » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:52 pm
Comcast and user-friendly -- it just feels wrong. Anyway I set up auto-reply yesterday, waiting to see if it keeps working...
10 posts Page 1 of 1