What to do if Comcast and U-verse are my only options?

General discussions and other topics.
14 posts Page 1 of 2
by jhue » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:16 am
In a couple months I'll be moving to an address which is something like 15k feet to the CO. So it looks like my only options for high-speed Internet are Comcast or U-verse. I am most likely going to become a Comcast customer. I get the idea that U-verse likes to endlessly pressure customers into buying bundles, whereas Comcast is more content to have customers that just want Internet but not cable TV or phone.

I'm assuming that when I disconnect my landline, and terminate my Sonic DSL, I won't be able to remain a Sonic customer? There's no such thing as keeping a sonic.net account, but bringing your own connectivity? I guess I need to start having all my email sent to a new address?
by aw » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:25 pm
If you can get U-Verse from AT&T, then there's probably a Remote Terminal that Sonic could feed you lineshared ADSL-1 from.
by virtualmike » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:17 pm
If the lineshared ADSL-1 option isn't there, or is not workable, other thoughts are:

- Any sort of web hosting
- Switch to a dial-up account (you don't have to connect to Sonic.net via dialup, but it could be a backup)
by jhue » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:33 pm
I used the Fusion qualification tool to check my old address and my new one.

For my old address, it says I'm 8300 feet behind an RT. I have the legacy DSL service now.

For my new address, it says I'm 15k feet from the CO, and no mention of an RT. It says I could order Fusion Broadband, but I assume the speeds would be awful at that distance (<1.5MBits/sec).

I didn't know Sonic still offered dial-up accounts - I didn't see it under Sales. Sonic is wonderful, I've been a customer since 1999 or earlier, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost for just maintaining my email and infrequent shell access.
by virtualmike » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:21 pm
Hmmm... yes, only Fusion is shown under Sales. However, we know lineshared ADSL is still available, so it might be worth a call to Sonic sales to get more information on your options, and/or what are your options regarding your email address if you cannot keep a Sonic.net account.
by rodrigo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:26 am
When you are canceling broadband service, you can continue on as an email-only customer for $4/mo (up to 4 mailboxes).
by jhue » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:57 pm
Great, that will give me what I need for the next several months (or perhaps indefinitely).
by Michael » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:00 pm
When I moved, I dropped DSL and kept all the other Sonic services for $18.95. I don't miss the DSL service as I now have a 30/4 connection and am considering upgrading to the 100/5 service. Upload blows, but the price is about $25 more than I'm paying now. Anyway, the point is, you have Sonic options even if you don't keep your DSL service.
by julplusjoaq » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:44 am
The condo building I live in is in the process of providing free Comcast internet service to all units. I currently have Sonic Fusion for both DSL and phone service. Is there a cost effective option with Sonic for retaining the phone service (more specifically the phone number) while canceling the DSL?
by wa2ibm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:12 am
No. Sonic Fusion is an all-in-one product and the individual components (voice in your case) cannot be broken out.

If you're going to get Comcast HSI, you could probably port your phone number over to Comcast to keep the number. Or you could port it over to any number of VoIP carriers for less $$$$$. Be aware, however, when you port a number away from Sonic, they will simply replace the phone number with a new one and continue your service. AFTER your your number to another carrier, then call up Sonic to cancel your Fusion service.
14 posts Page 1 of 2