Sonic? Fiber? Alameda?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
17 posts Page 1 of 2
by Reeko17 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:15 pm
Anyone know if there are plans for Sonic to go fiber in Alameda? I heard they typically require 30% of the population as users before it makes it worthwhile. If not, come on Alamedans! Get on board!
by dane » Tue May 01, 2012 4:26 pm
We are likely to release some stats on per-city uptake in the next quarter or two, FYI. That'll give you an idea how each region is doing on the path toward Fiber.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by erikpurins » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:31 pm
Old thread, but found this compelling - a website that describes other reasons Alameda might be easier to build out. http://wirealameda.org
by virtualmike » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:25 pm
erikpurins wrote:http://wirealameda.org
Intriguing. The City used to run a cable system, competing with Comcast. However, it wasn't profitable (it wasn't managed very well) and the City sold it to Comcast (the high bidder).

The City's cable system had fiber to all the neighborhood nodes, but Comcast scrapped it and put all the homes on its old coax.

That's what brought me to Sonic.net, so in one way, I should be grateful. 8-)
by erikpurins » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:47 am
I would add though, that the city is easy to dig - I can pull up plants in the sandy dirt easily. There are also poles everywhere. The old Navy base finally went back into ownership of the city, so it will see some kind of exciting business dev. It's flat as a board. And there are large plots of condos in bay farm / harbor bay, so you can sell in bulk if you are competitive. And apparently other residents are pretty active - so, you can leverage the word of mouth and excitement.
by erikpurins » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:48 am
I don't know what tech business is here besides Perforce.
by virtualmike » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:46 pm
Ascend (now part of Lucent), Wind River Systems, Webcor, Santa Clara Systems, ...

There are several large business parks full of small- and medium-sized businesses, too. Marina Village, Harbor Bay, etc.
by erikpurins » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:25 pm
Oh! Thanks for the info. If there were a competitive fiber solution on the Navy base, I wonder if it would draw some more.
by Guest » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:43 pm
Dane: The last post was about a year ago and I'm wondering if you have any thoughts to share about Sonic coming to Alameda. How about those per-city uptake stats you mentioned.

Your online tool says we're approx. 5100 feet away from a CO so I'm guessing I'd probably get around 10Mbps with Sonic. We currently have Uverse (25Mbps) and are plugged into a VRAD one block away. I'd switch to Sonic, if the speeds could come closer to what we already have.
by gene1wood » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:10 pm
@Dane, I'd also be curious to see those uptake stats you mentioned back in 2012.

Alameda has a unique and interesting history in regards to fiber and telecommunications : http://www.cedmagazine.com/articles/200 ... l-of-fiber
17 posts Page 1 of 2