Dane - for real, what's the deal with Sonic fiber in Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
205 posts Page 17 of 21
by Linberl1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:02 am
Any update or news on the situation for those of us in albany in the 900 blocks off Marin????
by ankh » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:59 am
Getting ready for the data firehose .....

=============================

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| 661Tbps Through a Single Optical Fiber: The Mind Boggles |
| from the I-have-1Mbps dept. |
| posted by mrpg on Saturday August 04, @12:25 (Science) |
| https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=18/08/03/225233 |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

[0]MrPlow writes:

Submitted via IRC for BoyceMagooglyMonkey

Society has an insatiable desire for data. In fact, it is rather
astonishing to think that average Internet traffic is several hundred
terabits per second and consumes about eight percent of our
electricity production. All of that for instant cat videos—and our
desire for new cat videos is apparently insatiable, driving the need
for more capacity and even more energy.

[...] The fiber that transported the signal consists of 30
light-guiding cores, surrounded by a single cladding. That means that
each core is capable of transporting data at a rate of 25Tbps,
bringing us to a grand total of 768Tbps. That, however, is the raw
data rate. Data is always transmitted with some redundancy to allow
for errors to be corrected, called forward error correction. Once
redundancy is accounted for, the net data transfer rate is 661Tbps.

Source:
[1]https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/08 ... d-boggles/

------------------------------------------------------------------------
by nlbknitter » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:10 pm
Last March we got a letter telling us we're lucky ducks to be getting Sonic Fiber in Kensington. So far, squat!! I just spoke with one of your representatives who told me that my area, Kerr Ave, is not scheduled so far so that means a good six months! My router keeps on dropping service and we have to reboot it about twice a week. I am assured that your router will be better. In the meanwhile...

Please give us REAL information!!!
by dane » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:52 pm
nlbknitter wrote:Last March we got a letter telling us we're lucky ducks to be getting Sonic Fiber in Kensington. So far, squat!! I just spoke with one of your representatives who told me that my area, Kerr Ave, is not scheduled so far so that means a good six months! My router keeps on dropping service and we have to reboot it about twice a week. I am assured that your router will be better. In the meanwhile...

Please give us REAL information!!!
The current build in Kensington is doesn't encompass Kerr Ave. The build ends South of you, starting at roughly Westminster Ave and covering South of that road.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aanon4 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:41 pm
dane wrote:
amsluis wrote:Is there a way to determine which CO you're served by?

Thanks for the updates!
No, I'm afraid not.
Are the Berkeley delays reflected in the availability tool delivery estimates?

Thanks
by ankh » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:21 am
Hey Dane, in your copious spare time (grin)
could someone at Sonic make up an annotated picture of some of these poles that are hung about with multiple boxes and cables and coils of, er, stuff -- and give us a key to identify which pieces are Sonic's and which are other companies' hardware?

I realize that may be impossible if it's all little boxes on the phone poles and they all look just the same.

But the complexity of the stuff being hung up is rather amazing and makes me wonder who's on first.
by dane » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:47 am
ankh wrote:Hey Dane, in your copious spare time (grin)
could someone at Sonic make up an annotated picture of some of these poles that are hung about with multiple boxes and cables and coils of, er, stuff -- and give us a key to identify which pieces are Sonic's and which are other companies' hardware?

I realize that may be impossible if it's all little boxes on the phone poles and they all look just the same.

But the complexity of the stuff being hung up is rather amazing and makes me wonder who's on first.
I published an overview that might help, here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3389
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by alxyang24 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:08 am
ankh wrote:Hey Dane, in your copious spare time (grin)

Dane just posted, but here's one of Sonic's videos that has the cabinet box out in the field, this is time stamped to 46 seconds in

https://youtu.be/-JMcOAJHZok?t=46

Most of the Sonic fiber lines I've seen have an orange label (8-12" long?) wrapped around it with Sonic and phone number on it. I believe orange in general is a standard for telecom labeling, so you might see some other orange labels with other companies.

I find myself looking upward a lot now to see the progression through Berkeley.
by ankh » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:59 pm
Thanks, that's good info. What I'm wondering about is the round things hanging on cables between phone poles, the cables with some kind of wire hanger loops every foot or so, the gadget that travels along a bare metal cable and wraps what I guess is the optical cable round and round it; and the boxes on the poles with a bristle-brush worth of litle cables sprouting from them. I guess I could post pictures and ask what's that, and that, and that.
by dane » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:10 pm
ankh wrote:Thanks, that's good info. What I'm wondering about is the round things hanging on cables between phone poles, the cables with some kind of wire hanger loops every foot or so, the gadget that travels along a bare metal cable and wraps what I guess is the optical cable round and round it; and the boxes on the poles with a bristle-brush worth of litle cables sprouting from them. I guess I could post pictures and ask what's that, and that, and that.
Lashing: https://youtu.be/WDBnL1gRtWE?t=1m18s

H&M also has a cable placement montage video you might find interesting, here: https://youtu.be/gYL-Xu6cZfw?t=7s
Dane Jasper
Sonic
205 posts Page 17 of 21