Webmail Upgrade Coming on August 21st, 2017!

General discussions and other topics.
35 posts Page 3 of 4
by Rabbys » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:17 pm
I would really like the "double-click to open an email" and the "preview pane" to both be active in the desktop view like they used to be. This is what I'm used to and it seems simple and intuitive. An alternative would be a one click way to open the preview pane in the list view. I'm 74 years old, and I must say that I don't understand the techie mindset that trades a useful feature for a half-second faster loading time. Some of you guys ought to try Buddhist meditation and slow your minds down a little! (You need to meditate for more than the half second of time you've saved).

The "Stars" which have appeared and don't want to go away are of very limited value to me - if I haven't read the email, then it appears in bold print in the list. However, the stars are not a big problem. And I agree with the opinion above that even with these annoying changes, the Sonic Webmail system is clearly superior to the alternatives. I hope you can work these bugs out of the system, and get us back our simple functionality soon - I'll be generous and give to a full second to get the job done!
by drew.phillips » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:16 pm
Double click functionality has been restored.

Please note that the ability to double click a message to open it in a window has been ported in to Sonic's version of webmail.

The exact behavior of this depends on your setting for "Open message in a new window" which is found under Settings >> Displaying Messages.

If that option is enabled, the message always opens in a popup window.

If that option is disabled, the message will open in the same window replacing the message list and preview pane. In this case, you can click the "Back" button above the folder list, or click Inbox (or any other folder) in the folder list to go back.

Note that pressing "Enter" still duplicates the double click functionality to open in a new window, as does pressing the "Open in new window" icon that appears at the top right of the message.

I don't expect it to nor did I find any in testing, but please let us know if you find this change causes any other issues.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by motet » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:32 am
So it seems now in List view if I double-click a message to read it, it doesn't mark it read like it used to. Why is that? I read it. It's a nuisance to have to use the Mark menu to mark it read.

Is there a setting? This seems like just plain wrong behavior.
by drew.phillips » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:43 am
motet wrote:So it seems now in List view if I double-click a message to read it, it doesn't mark it read like it used to. Why is that? I read it. It's a nuisance to have to use the Mark menu to mark it read.

Is there a setting? This seems like just plain wrong behavior.
When I tested it in list view, it appears that the message gets marked based on the setting of "Mark previewed messages as read" under Mailbox View in Settings. So since mine is 5 seconds, opening the message and quickly going back to the list resulted in it not being marked. After opening again and waiting 5 seconds, it did.

If it previously marked read instantly, let me know and I can file a bug report with the developers.
Drew Phillips
by motet » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:12 pm
Thanks, Drew. It was set at 5 seconds--I guess I was returning to the list sooner than that. I set it to "immediate," which seems like a better default.

I'm not sure what the difference between "previewing" and "reading" is. Is the intent that if you don't mark messages Read when previewing, you must mark everything manually?
by drew.phillips » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:52 pm
motet wrote:Thanks, Drew. It was set at 5 seconds--I guess I was returning to the list sooner than that. I set it to "immediate," which seems like a better default.

I'm not sure what the difference between "previewing" and "reading" is. Is the intent that if you don't mark messages Read when previewing, you must mark everything manually?
Previewing would imply that you're in the Widescreen or Desktop view and have the preview pane enabled. In that case, it wouldn't mark the message appearing in the preview pane read until the configured time period elapsed.

It does seem strange though, that directly opening a message is still considered a preview and doesn't mark it read instantly on open.

On my home server, I'm running Roundcube 1.2 and confirmed this is likely a bug.

In that version, with the preview pane disabled (List view) and the time set to 10 seconds, opening the message and immediately going back marked it as read. With the preview pane enabled (Desktop view) and the time set to 10 seconds, double-clicking to open the message and immediately going back (all in about 1 second or less) also results in it being marked read.

So somewhere in the UI changes in the new version, they lost marking a message as read upon opening. I will file a bug report now.
Drew Phillips
by bondolo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:12 pm
Would you consider adding the Sieve plugin for server side filtering?

https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubem ... anagesieve

The current filtering capabilities are useful but rely on opening the web client. Server filtering lets me manage the filtering for all devices in one place and offers more capabilities
by motet » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:21 pm
Thanks.

I really would like the feature back where the arrow in the lower-right corner in List view opened up a preview pane, as in Desktop view. Either that, or keyboard shortcuts to switch between views. As it is, it requires three mouse clicks to switch. Though the Save button in the List Options dialog is highlighted, implying an equivalence to the Enter key, the Enter key has no effect. In fact, it's sent through to the message list underneath and opens a message, which is poor UI practice.
by drew.phillips » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:42 pm
bondolo wrote:Would you consider adding the Sieve plugin for server side filtering?

https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubem ... anagesieve

The current filtering capabilities are useful but rely on opening the web client. Server filtering lets me manage the filtering for all devices in one place and offers more capabilities
This is a great suggestion, but unfortunately, at this time, we don't have Sieve support on the server side so the plugin would be of no use. We currently offer Procmail by means of a .procmailrc file in your home directory on shell.sonic.net. We don't offer support for assistance with procmail, but many Sonic members do use it.

Towards the bottom of the Spam FAQ wiki page is some brief info about procmail and there may be some discussion to be found here on the forums.

Until we add Sieve support on the server, procmail is the only option for server side filtering.
Drew Phillips
by motet » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:59 pm
I sometimes get spam that is (intentionally?) misdated in the past, so Webmail shows there's an unread message somewhere in a page not on the current screen. I'm pretty sure there used to be a way to show only unread messages, which let me quickly locate such messages and delete them. Now, I find only Select->Unread, which is worthless for this purpose. Can we have View->Unread or whatever it was back? Or the ability to click on the star column so that unread will appear first?
35 posts Page 3 of 4