Uploading my website files to Sonic

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by giorgiscakes » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:20 pm
Hello Everyone....maybe one of you can help me. First, I have to say, I have very limited knowledge about computers. I do have an iMac and 6 years ago, I was able to build my business website using iMac's iWeb on my computer. The web server has always been MobileMe. Unfortunately, MobileMe is being discontinued by Apple. So this is what brought me to Sonic.net and use them as my web server. Through help from Apple, I was able to retrieve my website files from MobileMe and they are now on my desktop. I am trying to upload them to Sonic and this is where I am having problems. I talked to Sonic this evening and they have received my files, but when they open them, they do not look right. They are missing photos and words.

Do any of you have any idea of what I am doing wrong? I would appreciate any help anyone can give to me. Thanks, Judy
by thulsa_doom » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:15 am
The HTML for your home page seems to expect there to be a folder named "Home Page_files" that doesn't appear to have been uploaded to the server. That would explain why the images aren't displaying. If any of the missing words were presented through image files, it would explain that as well.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by giorgiscakes » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:38 am
Hi John.....we have been in contact before. As I said, I retrieved my website files from MobileMe and they are now in a file on my desktop. When I opened my file, there are actually two files for each page. For instance, one file says "Swirl Design-files" then next to it it says "Swirl Design.html". Are you saying I should have uploaded both of these files to Sonic? Sounds like that is what I need to do which I did not....I only uploaded "Swirl Design.html". But now it makes sense that is what I need to do....please confirm. Thanks!
by joemuller » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:36 am
I can confirm that yes, you'll need to upload the "Swirl Design-files" folder as well. Unless it's pulling in all the images from somewhere else, the html file alone is only going to give you the text parts of the page.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by giorgiscakes » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:30 pm
Ok....my business website consists of 25 pages.....roughly 200 or more photos of cakes throughout all these pages. I was able to upload to Sonic both the individual page file folder as well as the html file for 16 pages. The other 9 pages, I was able to upload the html file for the page but not the file folder. I could almost predict the pages that had a successful upload to Sonic because they were pages with less photos in them.

Since I feel I am going no where in trying to upload my website pages to Sonic.....I am thinking of contacting Network Solutions who hosts my website name and having them point their servers away from Mobileme and point them to Sonic. Once I do this, and using my iweb on my computer that I built my website with, I can then just republish the individual pages to Sonic. Will this work?
by virtualmike » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:03 am
Hi, Judy,

I hear your frustration, but this is not an easy issue for those of us in the community to resolve.

You're in a very unique situation--this is not a situation that occurs every day or to many people.

Unless there's another Sonic.net member in the exact same situation, but with a bit more technical knowledge about MobileMe, it's difficult for us to tell you how to make the transition. None of us can see your computer and the files on it, and it's possible that few people here have seen your site.

Have you read Apple's information about doing the move? Here's an example. The Google can help you find other support.

You may want to consider hiring a consultant who can spend a couple of hours to get everything set up on your site and give you advice on how to make updates by yourself moving forward.
by giorgiscakes » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:34 am
Thank you for your information and support.....this may help me further.
7 posts Page 1 of 1