Email filtering

General discussions and other topics.
26 posts Page 1 of 3
by dja » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:52 pm
Just wondering, is procmail hit first, or is spam filtering hit first. If I have a rule that blacklists messages in my spam filtering, will my procmail have a chance to process the messages before they are dropped by spam filtering?
by augie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:21 pm
Use a ".procmailrc-first" file if you want your procmail rules to be applied before spam filtering.
by dja » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:53 pm
that's a pretty easy fix... thanks!
by boss » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:49 pm
I have a question about email filtering.

I am getting a lot of spam from .ru domains. And from what I'm seeing on the email's 'cc', so are a lot of other sonic users.

Did you guys do something to anger some Russians? Kidding :-)

My question is, what's the most effective way of blocking this? Right now I'm blacklisting. But I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
Can I blacklist all .ru email?
Can I blacklist everything from any "@mail.ru" or any other "@pickaname.ru" ?

Or do I have to continue to blacklist every email address that sends me spam?

Thanks
by dja » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:15 pm
You can blacklist, or you can use procmail. Procmail lets you use regular expressions and therefor can be a much more powerful tool. But, for ease of use, blacklisting is the way to go. For my work email address, I've actually blacklisted *.* and then whitelisted only email's coming from my companies domain name.
by boss » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:39 am
So, if I add @mail.ru to my blacklist I will block all email addresses containing @mail.ru. Is this right? Bc it's not working.

I've never heard of procmail. Where can I read about this?

Thanks again
by kgc » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:45 am
For your example, you'd blacklist *@mail.ru

Procmail allows for advanced programmatic processing of email upon delivery. You can use it to do things like discard email when a set of rules are matched or conditionally forward mail. For more inforamation see http://www.procmail.org/
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by boss » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:04 pm
Thanks kgc and dja for your help.
by virtualmike » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:40 am
boss wrote:So, if I add @mail.ru to my blacklist I will block all email addresses containing @mail.ru. Is this right? Bc it's not working.
*@mail.ru
by boss » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:54 pm
Ok. I think you are saying to add the asterisk before the @
26 posts Page 1 of 3