How Can I Get Sonic Service?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 1 of 2
by bobino » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:24 pm
I live in San Rafael but outside the current service area of sonic.net. Currently, my only choice of ISP is Comcast. With flaky service and repeating billing errors, I really want to "fire" them.

Is there anything I can do to ever get sonic service at my current location? Will it ever happen?
by bobino » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:00 am
The silence is deafening...or revealing.

Is there anyway to move alone the availability of sonic in my area?
by kenlui » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:56 am
bobino wrote:Is there anyway to move alone the availability of sonic in my area?
Unless you want to get Fusion I think you should be able to get legacy DSL. If you're only interested in Fusion, the prerequisites of qualification means you must be served by a central office and within around 11,000 feet. While I'm not privy to the politics of creating a CO, I think you would have a better chance of waiting for Sonic to build out their fiber network over to your area over being served by a new CO.

The only thing you can do is subscribe to their list to tell Sonic your interest and have them notify you if your current area's landscape changes.
by dane » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:09 pm
bobino wrote:I live in San Rafael but outside the current service area of sonic.net. Currently, my only choice of ISP is Comcast. With flaky service and repeating billing errors, I really want to "fire" them.

Is there anything I can do to ever get sonic service at my current location? Will it ever happen?
When you use the prequalification tool on the Fusion page http://sonic.net/fusion what reason does it give for lack of availability? Distance, behind a remote terminal, or a not deployed CO?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bobino » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:32 pm
Thank you both for replying.

Last time I checked I could not get legacy DSL at my location. I'm located in a housing development called Peacock Gap that is in the far east edge of San Rafael. It's located on the south side of China Camp State Park. If you look at google maps, there's a golf course with the same name next door.

I don't have home phone service (I have a Vonage account). The fusion tool says

"Oops! We weren't able to find the address you entered. Please try another address or call 1 (888) 766-4233 for assistance."

I've been a long time Sonic.net subscriber and frustrated I cannot actually get service at my current location.

-Bob
by bobino » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:45 pm
I called the phone number and tech support said I'm too far away from the CO. If there's a extension box (I forgot the actual term he used) then it is at capacity, so legacy DSL is unavailable too.

This is not news to me. I've heard it before. My original question:

-Bob
by dane » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:30 pm
bobino wrote:I called the phone number and tech support said I'm too far away from the CO. If there's a extension box (I forgot the actual term he used) then it is at capacity, so legacy DSL is unavailable too.

This is not news to me. I've heard it before. My original question:

-Bob
No, afraid not. If you are too far from the central office, the signal will not reach.

There are remote terminal locations where we could have deployed equipment, but the FCC set aside necessary infrastructure to reach them. See: http://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2011/09/02/am ... d-duopoly/

For this reason, the only solution would be entirely newly placed fiber. We are working on this in two pilot locations now, but it's a very expensive, very long term project.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bobino » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:09 pm
Thanks Dane,

It appears I am stuck with Comcast for the foreseeable future. Ugh! This is frustrating.

In the 6 months I have had a business internet account that they have twice had billing errors, where the error was exactly the same: charging me for the cable modem that I am not renting from them.

I'm using the modem I purchased from Amazon years ago and was using for the residential service I bought before upgrading to the commercial account. They insisted I must rent their cable because the service was "different" and "better" with the rented modem. The service tech who came to install it could not get either of two "better" modems he brought to work, while my modem worked fine. Twice they have tried to get me to pay rent on their modem. Both times they told me error won't happen again. I do not trust them.

I am exactly the anti-competitive victim that is described in the article.

-Bob
by virtualmike » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:49 pm
bobino wrote:In the 6 months I have had a business internet account that they have twice had billing errors, where the error was exactly the same: charging me for the cable modem that I am not renting from them. {...} Twice they have tried to get me to pay rent on their modem. Both times they told me error won't happen again. I do not trust them.
I ran into a similar situation, but with residential service.

In my previous home, I was using the City's cable/Internet service. I was encouraged to buy my own cable modem, so I bought a highly rated Mororola unit. A year later, the City's cable service was borged by Comcast. When the line was switched to Comcast, it cheerfully reconfigured the modem to work with its service.

Because (a) I hate Comcast and (b) the service was horrid, I cancelled Comcast HSI and became a Sonic.net customer.

Three months later, Comcrap^H^H^H^Hcast sent me a bill for not returning its modem. Calls and emails to regular Customer "Service" were useless. I was told that I would have to show Comcast the receipt for the purchase of the modem. (I told the CSR that Comcast should produce its receipt showing it delivered a modem to me, which only got laughter.)

To get it resolved, I finally used a link I found on comcast.com to send a query to the CEO's office. That got a response from Executive Customer Service in Walnut Creek, who finally removed all records of the modem from my account and stopped the billing.
by kenlui » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:34 am
bobino wrote:In the 6 months I have had a business internet account that they have twice had billing errors, where the error was exactly the same: charging me for the cable modem that I am not renting from them.
Offtopic: I read on DSLreports/Broadbandreports that if you have Comcast, you're forced to use their modems because the static IP addresse is configured into them and they don't share the password with you. How did you get to use your own modem?
12 posts Page 1 of 2