Federal Subscriber Line Charge

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
44 posts Page 3 of 5
by pockyken007 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:24 pm
sometown wrote:
blackmage wrote:You getting fiber or copper service?

I'm getting fiber. And that charge is phone-specific, and would not apply if I was only getting internet, I think that's why they're keeping the bundle. I don't even own a phone besides my cell. Was given the impression by the sales rep I originally called that the phone portion was free. Figured if I didn't use it, the fees would be minimal. Were it just the actual taxes...I could live with it. But this makes the un-used phone a significant portion of my ballooned bill.

I would feel much better if the product I ordered was advertised at a price closer to the true cost. This was a slap in the face.

You are crying over 6.50 when you get 1 gig fiber line for 40$+applicable Taxes ... spoiled is not even close to describe what you are. Like everybody else said sonic doesn't have to charge the fee BUT with the operational costs and maintenance costs they can and they will because by the end of the day they are a BUSINESS first and ISP second .

To add to what everybody else said .... if you don't like it then Bye Felicia .... there is plenty of other ISP out there that would CHARGE you way more and never disclose the breakdown of all the fees you are being charged till you receive your first bill ( ATT , COMCAST to name a few ) ... Don't let the door hit you on your way out ...
by Guest » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:54 pm
I am appalled by the crude response. I think the original poster is correct -- sonic should be transparent in its advertising. They could have said $46.50 instead of advertising $40, and people would have appreciated the truth and signed up. That would have gained more trust from me.
Now that I know that its false advertising, how can I believe Sonic saying that they do not share my information and all the things they boast about on privacy. Maybe they are hiding other things too. It would be better for Sonic to own up and not stoop down to the level of AT&T and comcast.

I don't think the argument that since other telcos are doing it, sonic should do it too is a good excuse.
by Guest » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:58 pm
Guest wrote:I am appalled by the crude response. I think the original poster is correct -- sonic should be transparent in its advertising. They could have said $46.50 instead of advertising $40, and people would have appreciated the truth and signed up. That would have gained more trust from me.
But the majority of people don't see things the way you do. They just look at the numbers and right now ISP marketing is skewed the other way with non-transparent marketing. If you were running Sonic, which would you choose?

1. Advertise your rate with this fee, when every other ISP does not.
2. Advertise your rate without this fee like all other ISPs.

You would need to consider how many people would actually be informed and choose you instead of just quickly browsing/comparing and choose the lowest price. You read about the thing about averages? The average citizen isn't very informed and there are 50% more who are even less informed.
by Guest » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:55 pm
What's crude is the accusation of false advertisement. The website clearly states "plus taxes and fees". Listing taxes and fees separately is standard practice for many industries including telecommunications. Land lines, cell phones, and cable TV among others. It’s also extremely naive to argue that a small business can simply put themselves at a disadvantage. The number of independent ISPs that remain should be evident of how hard it is to compete against the incumbent carriers, but Sonic should eat the additional costs?
by pockyken007 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:39 pm
Guest wrote:I am appalled by the crude response. I think the original poster is correct -- sonic should be transparent in its advertising. They could have said $46.50 instead of advertising $40, and people would have appreciated the truth and signed up. That would have gained more trust from me.
Now that I know that its false advertising, how can I believe Sonic saying that they do not share my information and all the things they boast about on privacy. Maybe they are hiding other things too. It would be better for Sonic to own up and not stoop down to the level of AT&T and comcast.

I don't think the argument that since other telcos are doing it, sonic should do it too is a good excuse.

And I am appalled by your inability to read ... and comprehend basic English . Sonic clearly states on their website that there are additional fees !

https://www.sonic.com/

Cry me a river over 6.50 ... You don't like it ? You don't have to do business with Sonic, BYE FELICIA ... don't let that door smack you .
by Guest » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:43 pm
Ha ha. Sonic was caught red handed, and the CEO tried to divert the original poster's question by mentioning about internet-only option in the future. We now know the answer to the $6.50 question.
Sonic DSL Fusion, in my opinion, is not a good value to many people who don't need a land line phone service.
by pockyken007 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:46 am
Guest wrote:Ha ha. Sonic was caught red handed, and the CEO tried to divert the original poster's question by mentioning about internet-only option in the future. We now know the answer to the $6.50 question.
Sonic DSL Fusion, in my opinion, is not a good value to many people who don't need a land line phone service.

if it's not a good option then don't buy it ... simple . Bye Felicia
by Guest » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:30 am
I have Fusion DSL+voice (would love to have fiber but it doesn't reach my part of SF). I use the landline sometimes though not much. My total monthly bill is around $62 and I'm ok with that. I'm a very heavy internet user so I'm getting my money's worth. But I too am bothered when the front page of sonic.com says $40 in huge print and it's actually $62. That's not "$40+some fees". If it said $60 and it turned out to be $62 because of "fees" that would be more like what I expected. The modem rental is another annoying hidden charge. I just hope it doesn't become part of a botnet.

I'm still mostly happy with Sonic and will happily get a fiber plan if/when it reaches my neighborhood. I have zero interest in TV of any sort (cable, Dish, whatever) if that matters, though I've broken down and started to watch youtube sometimes.
by pockyken007 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:54 am
most companies advertise below the actual cost because every city has it's own taxes and fees associated with the service that change very very often and keeping up with those changes would require another department dedicated to following those changes ( which means less revenue for Sonic as they would have to pay these people ... ) On top of that every single ISP I know ATT , Comcast etc. always claims your price will be X + fees no ISP will ever tell you what your exact fee will be till you receive your first bill with all applicable fees and taxes ... so while it might seem deceiving and whatnot it's a part of business employed by other ISP and Sonic after all is a business first ISP second ( although I do have to admit they are much more transparent then other companies out there or at least try to be as much as humanly possible without sacrificing business and customers rights )
by blackmage » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:42 am
pockyken007 wrote:most companies advertise below the actual cost because every city has it's own taxes and fees associated with the service that change very very often and keeping up with those changes would require another department dedicated to following those changes ( which means less revenue for Sonic as they would have to pay these people ... ) On top of that every single ISP I know ATT , Comcast etc. always claims your price will be X + fees no ISP will ever tell you what your exact fee will be till you receive your first bill with all applicable fees and taxes ... so while it might seem deceiving and whatnot it's a part of business employed by other ISP and Sonic after all is a business first ISP second ( although I do have to admit they are much more transparent then other companies out there or at least try to be as much as humanly possible without sacrificing business and customers rights )
To expand on this, most companies have some sort of rate on the side of their vans/trucks giving pre-tax and fee pricing. I think the main difference here is Sonic has *consistent* pricing that doesn't change, so people remember the $40 price tag. Other company trucks change prices all the time. No one goes "Oh Comcast is the $70 per month cable provider" because they have many options that are always changing whereas Sonic has one steady service with an X2 alternative if needed.
44 posts Page 3 of 5