Federal Subscriber Line Charge

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
44 posts Page 2 of 5
by sometown » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:08 pm
Correct. They are not required to charge this fee. I too am looking for their justification for it. After speaking to a rep with no answers about it this morning, I got a manager on the phone this afternoon. He refused to give me any information about the Voice Federal Line Access Fee. He said he was aware of this thread and assured me that the CEO would address my question, but since that call the CEO has not responded and none of his previous messages even mention it.
by sometown » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:09 pm
Correct. They are not required to charge this fee. I too am looking for their justification for it. After speaking to a rep with no answers about it this morning, I got a manager on the phone this afternoon. He refused to give me any information about the Voice Federal Line Access Fee. He said he was aware of this thread and assured me that the CEO would address my question, but since that call the CEO has not responded and none of his previous messages even mention it.
by blackmage » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:26 pm
From some quick Googling:

"The subscriber line charge helps local telephone companies recover some of the costs associated with connecting telephone lines to your home or business. Long distance carriers take advantage of those local lines to connect their long distance calls, and this charge contributes the infrastructure needed to make the telecommunication system work. Regulated by the Federal Communication Commission (FCC), this fee is assessed to all incumbent local exchange carrier (ILEC) end users."

I know I've seen this on my Fusion DSL service, and apparently it's on Fusion Fiber as well, but not FTTN. My assumption would be that this can only be charged when Sonic supplies a fair bit of the infrastructure for the service. Your right in assuming they don't NEED to charge you the $6.50. In the same way that they don't NEED to charge you $40 for Internet + Phone. They are a business with costs. Does that answer your question?
by Guest » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:57 pm
blackmage wrote:My assumption would be that this can only be charged when Sonic supplies a fair bit of the infrastructure for the service.
This is also my guess. Unlike a CLEC like DSLExtreme, that basically resell services, Sonic also installs equipment in COs and with Fiber where they have their own end-to-end infrastructure. Dane has written in the past that line items like these are used so the true taxes in other line items do not have to account for that percentage.
by blackmage » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:04 pm
Guest wrote:Dane has written in the past that line items like these are used so the true taxes in other line items do not have to account for that percentage.
That would make sense. They do after all have to compete against companies like AT&T and Comcast :roll:
by sometown » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:28 am
blackmage wrote:Your right in assuming they don't NEED to charge you the $6.50. In the same way that they don't NEED to charge you $40 for Internet + Phone. They are a business with costs. Does that answer your question?
They should be up front with that. Don't pretend it's a tax. Make it part of the advertised cost. The way they tack it on there is shady and insulting. The advertising is misleading. I wanted the $40 Fiber internet that was plastered everywhere, not the $62 bill I received. And when the CEO responded to this post, he acted like his hands were tied and it was that darn San Francisco city tax of $3.17 that was to blame for my bill. No mention of this hidden treat that is costumed as a Federal tax but is a hidden portion of what they're actually billing me. C'mon, that's as slimy a move as Comcast and AT&T would pull. Be honest!

I really was excited when I got this service installed. The tech was awesome, the speeds were great. But, please don't advertise a price that is less than 2/3 the actual cost while forcing me to buy a secondary product that I don't want. And don't disguise the way your company is billiing me!

I thought I'd found a quality, affordable alternative with a different corporate mindset. I really want to like them. I hope they improve the way they do business.
by blackmage » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:56 am
It comes down to marketing. If other companies are allowed to charge a $6.50 fee by the FCC, but Sonic chooses to just add $6.50 to their service price - they will lose customers. It would put them at a handicap compared to other providers.

It's definitely not an ideal situation. It sucks that the FCC allows that fee and it sucks that Sonic would probably lose more customers than gain by being transparent about infrastructure costs. Personally, I'm happy with how transparent they are with as many things as I have seen.

You getting fiber or copper service?
by sometown » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:20 pm
blackmage wrote:You getting fiber or copper service?

I'm getting fiber. And that charge is phone-specific, and would not apply if I was only getting internet, I think that's why they're keeping the bundle. I don't even own a phone besides my cell. Was given the impression by the sales rep I originally called that the phone portion was free. Figured if I didn't use it, the fees would be minimal. Were it just the actual taxes...I could live with it. But this makes the un-used phone a significant portion of my ballooned bill.

I would feel much better if the product I ordered was advertised at a price closer to the true cost. This was a slap in the face.
by steelgaze » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:15 pm
It's all politics.

From my undersanding on reading this tread, it is a non-mandotry tax that is allowed to be made.
This money is kept by the company that makes it.
It is something that is used to help build/maintain infrastructure.
Could Sonic not charge it? Sure. They are a business and it is industry 'norm' to charge it so why not tack it on?

With Sonic's track record, I really am not too bothered by paying it as they will probably spend it more responsibily than another telco of choice.
by Guest » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:35 pm
sometown wrote:I would feel much better if the product I ordered was advertised at a price closer to the true cost. This was a slap in the face.
Do you post on AT&T or Comcast's forums about this fee, too? What about how ILECs' internet-only plans are more expensive than internet + TV? It's all part of the reason why internet services are screwed up in America. Your slap in the face may sting because you don't use your land line but that's the reality of the situation while Sonic makes the best of it--and you benefitting by getting fiber for a very reasonable price. I wonder what AT&T's total price for Gigapower is in SF? Maybe you should subscribe and tell us? You have the option of trying Fusion Fiber out for 30 days and leave if you think the "sting" is too unattractive.

Dane has written that they're keeping an eye on requests for an internet-only product for people just like you. Given Sonic's record, I think this option will be a reality sooner rather than later.
44 posts Page 2 of 5