Why is OpenVPN "Production" service so flakey?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:55 am
The OpenVPN "production" service seems to go down almost every week. It's really quite irritating.
by Guest Elmatador » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:49 am
Yep, got nailed again early this morning. Had to recycle my router. The beta vpn was more reliable.
by kgc » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:20 pm
The servers that run the OpenVPN services need to receive regular updates, just like any other server. Typically, this will result in about one reboot a month with a couple of minutes of downtime after hours. We had some trouble with the virtualization network stack that resulted in a series of updates and outages while we attempted to fix it but that's been resolved and I don't anticipate anything other than regular system maintenance and this point.

(The beta server still isn't part of our regular system maintenance routines and that's likely to change soon.)
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by virtualmike » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:24 pm
Maybe VPN service should be listed in the MOTD that announces the downtime? Currently, only Webmail, Membertools, Sonic.com website, and FTP service are listed.
by kgc » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:06 pm
That's a good point Mike, I'll remind everyone to call specific attention to the VPN services if they'll be affected.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by virtualmike » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:12 pm
Thanks, Kelsey!
6 posts Page 1 of 1