Why no X2 offered?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by kieran » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:35 pm
When I use the "check availability" for my home address, the option presented is "Fusion FTTN at 12Mbps." Does this mean I *could* get Fusion X2 FTTN at 24Mbps (or thereabouts)? Why is the X2 option not offered?
EDIT: I live in Santa Rosa, zip 95409, near Hwy 12 and Mountain Hawk Dr. There's an AT&T fiber node (according to an AT&T tech who serviced our phone) about 1100 feet as the crow flies (or about 4000 feet following the street) from my house.
EDIT2: Is the product description "Fusion FTTN at 12Mbps" a minimum or maximum or nominal speed estimate for my area?
by dane » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:51 pm
The short answer: availability varies. The FTTN product in some places is available at 12Mbps, some places 20Mbps, and others offer X2 at 50Mbps.

You can also double check us by seeing what http://att.com offers you. (But be sure to buy from Sonic to avoid usage caps!)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by kieran » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:00 pm
Dane, if I were to go with a FTTN product, it would DEFINITELY be from Sonic, fear not. I'm dying to become your customer again. Just can't yet tolerate the slow speeds. I hate Comcast, but so far they are the only option for my speed needs.

So I clicked on the "small business" product instead of residential, and the only option offered then was "Fusion FTTN x2 for Business at 12Mbps"

So what is it? FTTN X1 or X2? Why the same speed with X2?
by dane » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:03 pm
Good question. But, I don't have a good answer, aside from that business product offerings vary from residential ones. Sorry!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by kieran » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:08 pm
att.com/uverse offered "up to 12mbps" also, and asked me to call when I clicked the business option.

Wait, reading your last response... if you don't know who does? :?
EDIT: and as always, thanks for your responses. Sonic's customer service is always the best! So cool to have the CEO constantly browsing the forums.
by dane » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:55 pm
Whether it's a service for residential or business, 12Mbps is the available speed at that location.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by timyu94 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:33 pm
kieran wrote:att.com/uverse offered "up to 12mbps" also, and asked me to call when I clicked the business option.

EDIT: and as always, thanks for your responses. Sonic's customer service is always the best! So cool to have the CEO constantly browsing the forums.
It means you're too far from the VRAD to get acceptable speeds even with bonded lines or the VRAD is running BPON for back haul and can't give more than 18/1.5 at best case.
by kieran » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:09 pm
timyu94 wrote:
kieran wrote:att.com/uverse offered "up to 12mbps" also, and asked me to call when I clicked the business option.

It means you're too far from the VRAD to get acceptable speeds even with bonded lines or the VRAD is running BPON for back haul and can't give more than 18/1.5 at best case.
Cool thanks. So, uhm, what does THAT mean? :)
8 posts Page 1 of 1