Limitations on a static IP address

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by mortonch » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:56 am
I just setup a Pace 5268AC connected to a bonded VDSL line over two pairs. After some initial issues in the building cable plant, the setup is running great with about 60/8 Mbps.

When I had Sonic years ago, I had a dumb Westel dumb modem that only functioned as a bridge; no routing and potentially not even an management interface. I like the new setup where I can speak with a tech and he can access my modem remotely.

The downside of the static IP address is that if you don't assign it to the WAN interface on the Pace, you lose remote troubleshooting and the modem gives you an annoying red service light because it does not detect layer 3 connectivity.

One solution is to get more static IP addresses so the modem has one and I have others to use myself, but I don't want to pay $10 more a month for that. I really wish that I could have my static IP address and one dynamic address for the modem.

I also noticed the Pace has a configurable management IP address that can be bound to either "automatic", "ethernet", or "DSL. I was thinking of using an internal IP address and binding that to the Ethernet interface to see if that would fix the issue.

Another issue I came across is the Pace hates to disable routing and both WiFi interfaces. It hates it so much, that it will not let me disable them. I check the box, save the settings, enter my password, it says "success", and still does not make the changes.

Any other suggestions?
by robert_s » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:53 pm
Hi,

I am sorry to hear about any miscommunication. When we assign your circuit static IPs, the router must be configured to handle them or there will be no TCP/IP connectivity can happen. For that reason, we don't have a remote way of configuring your modem with static IPs. The red service light is an indication that the static IPs have not been configured inside the router. I would be happy to walk you through configuring our Pace router with the static IPs over the phone without you having to pay any extra.

I think you may be describing bridging the router or LAN subporting. LAN subporting would require an additional IP address. Perhaps DMZ plus could allow you to require less IP addresses.

Send me a PM and I can try to figure out what's going on with your interfaces not disabling. You may want to try restarting the modem once you make the change if you haven't already.
Robert S.
Proud Sonic Employee
707-547-3400
2 posts Page 1 of 1