FTTN Buyers Remorse: Probably Not

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
21 posts Page 1 of 3
by dehnert » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:26 am
Other then the increase in speed since upgrading from Bonded Fusion to FTTN, I am at the point where I can say that I don't think the upgrade was worth it.

The restrictions on what can and can't be done on the circuit are a pain. I gave up fixed IP addresses with a block of 8 IP's for my single dynamic IP. True it does not change much, but I had good reasons for wanting fixed IP addresses. Having port 25 blocked ( in and outbound ) has been much more of a nightmare than I imagined. Working around that has added additional complexity to my mail server to the point where it is no longer reliable. On top of that the ATT U-Verse modem does not seem to forward ports correctly, so my DNS has been broken for months. I have also discovered that the ATT U-Verse modem did not like to play withy my Apple Airports, and It has additional issues with at least 1 model of TP-Link 802.11ac range extender.

I have a friend who is a manager at ATT, and he likes to remind me that if I had ATT U-Verse, they could unblock port 25 and give me a fixed IP address. Grrrrr. I can understand why Sonic's deal with ATT might exclude these services in the interest of simplicity, but I'm not about to sell my soul to ATT. I also believe in supporting Sonic for all the good things they do for their customers.

I'll be the first to admit that as an 20+ year IT veteran with my background in supporting Unix/Linux, that my network may be a bit more complicated that the average Sonic customer. Having said that when I had fixed IP addresses, no blocked ports, and could use whatever firewall I chose to use, I had everything working smoothly for years.

After the switch to FTTN, everything has been a challenge. For the first time in 10 years or so, I have had to tell my wife that we can't use our own domains mail server, because the DNS is so screwed up that at lest 1/2 of the mail sent to us bounce. The jury rigging needed to get outbound mail working only works about 90% of the time. Thats not good enough. My wife is letting everyone know to use her new gmail address. Humiliating.

I was looking into switching back to bonded fusion, but my FTTN line has a 1 year commitment on it, and I'm past my 30 day money back guarantee.

I have seen or heard some of these concerns from other users too, but truth be told, if you are a typical ISP customer, who just wants to surf the net, use gmail, or Sonic mail for e-mail, and play the occasional game, then the FTTN is probably going to be great for you.

My mistake was following the more bandwidth mantra and not taking into account what the changes might mean to all that I had configured. I was hoping to cut my cable service and I wanted to be certain I had enough bandwidth to do it before I took the plunge. Instead, I have spent waaay to much time troubleshooting things that used to work just fine, and now don't work without a significant time commitment on my part ( time that I just don't have these days ), don't seem to work at all, or are now extremely ( laughably ) limited subsets of what I was using before.

Here's hoping that Sonic manages to get the ability to get unblocked circuits, fixed IP addresses, and a better CPE device from ATT before my 12 months is up.

Thanks,
James "Zeke" Dehnert

--
mailto:jdehnert@gmail.com James "Zeke" Dehnert
-= Eschew Obfuscation =-
"Life is racing. Everything else is just waiting"
by guest » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:50 am
What CPE are you using? Can't you continue to use your old setup but connected to AT&T's gateway via IP passthrough/DMZ+? I don't rely on the AT&T gw for port forwarding. What are the reasons for running your own mail server? So you could be totally independent from other providers or security related? My FTTN IP has not changed in months and it only did so after I used another gw--I got my old one back when I reinstalled the original.
by miken » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:11 am
dehnert wrote: I gave up fixed IP addresses with a block of 8 IP's for my single dynamic IP. True it does not change much, but I had good reasons for wanting fixed IP addresses.
The "dynamic" IP that comes with Fusion FTTN assigns itself to your modem. Unless the equipment gets swapped out or the modem is left powered off for more than two weeks, that IP address should not change.
dehnert wrote: Having port 25 blocked ( in and outbound ) has been much more of a nightmare than I imagined.
Have you tried contacting our Technical Support about this? I've been able to get port 25 unblocked for Fusion FTTN before. If a call to our Support does not fix this, please send me a PM and I can take a deeper look into it and see what I can do.
dehnert wrote: I have also discovered that the ATT U-Verse modem did not like to play withy my Apple Airports, and It has additional issues with at least 1 model of TP-Link 802.11ac range extender.
How did you have the Apple Airport configured? I believe Airport's don't like double LAN, so you need to configure it specifically as an access point. At what point does the TP-Link have issues? Can you not get it to connect at all? Or is the service spotty once connected?
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by dehnert » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:35 pm
miken wrote:
dehnert wrote: I gave up fixed IP addresses with a block of 8 IP's for my single dynamic IP. True it does not change much, but I had good reasons for wanting fixed IP addresses.
The "dynamic" IP that comes with Fusion FTTN assigns itself to your modem. Unless the equipment gets swapped out or the modem is left powered off for more than two weeks, that IP address should not change.
I have seen that my 'dynamic' ip address has not changed since i received it. There are times when it might change though, and since I am having to work around things, that means should it ever change I will be running a fire drill to get things operational again.
miken wrote:
dehnert wrote: Having port 25 blocked ( in and outbound ) has been much more of a nightmare than I imagined.
Have you tried contacting our Technical Support about this? I've been able to get port 25 unblocked for Fusion FTTN before. If a call to our Support does not fix this, please send me a PM and I can take a deeper look into it and see what I can do.

I mention it every time I call in for any support in the hope that it may have been fixed, but so far, no port 25, inbound or out. If I had this I could make use of the dynamic IP address services to fix mail, but its blocked, and it doesn't look like it will be unblock able any time soon.
miken wrote:
dehnert wrote: I have also discovered that the ATT U-Verse modem did not like to play withy my Apple Airports, and It has additional issues with at least 1 model of TP-Link 802.11ac range extender.
How did you have the Apple Airport configured? I believe Airport's don't like double LAN, so you need to configure it specifically as an access point. At what point does the TP-Link have issues? Can you not get it to connect at all? Or is the service spotty once connected?
I had 1 airport connected directly to my firewall, and the rest of them as network extenders. I'd much rather run the cable under my house, and up into the attic to have them act as base stations that are connected back to my core router, but I don't have those cables run just yet. My airports worked perfectly with my old setup, but the new gateway just doesn't seem to see them. Since my existing gear didn't seem to like my new gear, I decided to bring things up to 802.11ac speeds, and the first TPlink repeater I purchased worked well, but it was rather expensive with features that no one really needs ( like a display on the device ). The next one I bought is just a step down from the first ( no display ) but whenever I add it to my network it seems to cause problems rather then relieve them. I can run that device back to my gateway, but it doesn't help.
by dehnert » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:13 pm
guest wrote:What CPE are you using? Can't you continue to use your old setup but connected to AT&T's gateway via IP passthrough/DMZ+? I don't rely on the AT&T gw for port forwarding. What are the reasons for running your own mail server? So you could be totally independent from other providers or security related? My FTTN IP has not changed in months and it only did so after I used another gw--I got my old one back when I reinstalled the original.
I'm using the Pace 5268ac. Mine is branded as and ATT device. I'm not sure that I have IP passthrough/DMZ+ available on my device. I'll have to 2x check, but I have read on other posts that the latest version of firmware on the ATT branded devices has several of the options missing. For instance, on my device, I cannot turn off the DHCP server. You need to give it a single IP address to hand out and make sure its something that can't hurt anything, or can't actually be allocated. You need to gan the system basically. I much prefer the integrated DHCP/DNS on my linux server.

If I can use IP passthrough /DMZ+ then I won't need to reply on the devices port forwarding, which would be good, but for now, I have to use it.

I run my own mail server because I can do what I want on it. If I want to add a feature, I add a feature. It gives me the ultimate flexibility, and I like running it. I have my on domain and I host email for my family. I have noticed that my dynamic iP address is pretty static, but there are situations where that address may change, and as it sits now, I will have a lot of work to reconfigure things. I could automate some, or most of that, but thats not where I would like to spend my time. There are much more interesting things i could be doing.

Thanks,
James "Zeke" Dehnert

--
-= Eschew Obfuscation =-
by timyu94 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:17 pm
by dehnert » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:30 pm
I will give this a try. If I can get my Mikrotik router back I should have no more DNS issues. Upside, its all configured already!

Thanks,
James "Zeke" Dehnert

--
-= Eschew Obfuscation =-
by Guest » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:45 pm
dehnert wrote:I'm using the Pace 5268ac. Mine is branded as and ATT device. I'm not sure that I have IP passthrough/DMZ+ available on my device.
Since you're on FTTN, you must use an AT&T CPE. All AT&T Pace gws have either IP passthrough or DMZ+. My 5031nv has DMZ+ and it works fine. It's a bit tricky to get working because you need to connect your router to the gw via DHCP so you can reconfigure it to receive the WAN IP--this 2-step process must be followed. I leave the AT&T gw's DHCP on as well but my firewall is on its own subnet. I'm surprised you run "your own" network but you're not using 10.0/8 or 172.16.0/16 subnets. I've migrated away from the popular 192.168.0/192.168.1.0 subnets long ago. As long as I have some sort of bridge mode or pseudo-bridge like these Paces, transplanting my own network is very simple.
dehnert wrote:I run my own mail server because I can do what I want on it. If I want to add a feature, I add a feature.
Running your own email server means you have to deal with SPAM and if your domain is tagged as being a source of SPAM you must deal with that administratively. But it appears Sonic will work with you and AT&T to get the port unblocked.
by dehnert » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:18 pm
Guest wrote:
dehnert wrote:I'm using the Pace 5268ac. Mine is branded as and ATT device. I'm not sure that I have IP passthrough/DMZ+ available on my device.
Since you're on FTTN, you must use an AT&T CPE. All AT&T Pace gws have either IP passthrough or DMZ+. My 5031nv has DMZ+ and it works fine. It's a bit tricky to get working because you need to connect your router to the gw via DHCP so you can reconfigure it to receive the WAN IP--this 2-step process must be followed. I leave the AT&T gw's DHCP on as well but my firewall is on its own subnet. I'm surprised you run "your own" network but you're not using 10.0/8 or 172.16.0/16 subnets. I've migrated away from the popular 192.168.0/192.168.1.0 subnets long ago. As long as I have some sort of bridge mode or pseudo-bridge like these Paces, transplanting my own network is very simple.
i still use the 192.168 address space because it has more then enough address space for my needs. 254 IP addresses are generally more than enough for me at home. If you really need over 16 million IP addresses at home, you have my sympathy ;) The 10 and 172.16 address spaces are what I use at work. We use the 10 space globally, and the 176.16 space shows up in our labs along with the 10 space.
Guest wrote:
dehnert wrote:I run my own mail server because I can do what I want on it. If I want to add a feature, I add a feature.
Running your own email server means you have to deal with SPAM and if your domain is tagged as being a source of SPAM you must deal with that administratively. But it appears Sonic will work with you and AT&T to get the port unblocked.
I use Red Condor ( now part of Edge Wave ) for my anti spam needs. I was given a free account years ago when I worked with a reseller and it still works great. I have yet to have my home email server end up on a blackhole list and I have been running it for several years now. So far, so good.
by miken » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:51 am
I just called over and had Port 25 unblocked for your account. If you have any further issues with that, just let me know!
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
21 posts Page 1 of 3