I kid you not -- I can see fiber looptys all over Alameda???

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by Bubba198 » Sat May 28, 2016 6:10 pm
I kid you not -- I can see fiber looptys all over Alameda???

They all have the red cable tags just like Sonic's ones in SF but there is no text on the labels?

Every few blocks one can see the expected node box with the long run single mode looped around it several times and zip tied to the pole.

Then every 2 - 3 poles one can clearly see the splitter circular tube-looking boxes hanging off the steel cable, again exactly like the ones in SF (it could even be the same vendor and part number).

If this is NOT Sonic then who is this?
by dane » Sat May 28, 2016 7:00 pm
If you see a contractor working on it, ask them who they are doing work for.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ??? » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:43 pm
what is a loopty???
by Guest » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:29 pm
by dane » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:42 pm
Guest wrote:
??? wrote:what is a loopty???
http://www.thefoa.org/tech/ref/install/ ... Aerial.jpg
In this photo, the snowshoe shaped thing is permanent storage of slack fiber, which the two loops are the end of cables temporarily stored prior to being spliced into that splice case on the left. The box on the far right is a terminal, which serves smaller drop cables to homes.

This photo is a Verizon FiOS installation, and it is very similar to the infrastructure that Sonic deploys.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:19 pm
dane wrote:
In this photo, the snowshoe shaped thing is permanent storage of slack fiber, which the two loops are the end of cables temporarily stored prior to being spliced into that splice case on the left. The box on the far right is a terminal, which serves smaller drop cables to homes.

This photo is a Verizon FiOS installation, and it is very similar to the infrastructure that Sonic deploys.
But I have never seen Sonic leaving two large loops of fiber on either side of the snowshoes. Perhaps one day when you're building like gangbusters! Nevertheless, when it comes to cabling, neatness counts.
by jnurthen » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:09 pm
Where in Alameda? I haven't seen them but will be on the lookout tomorrow.
7 posts Page 1 of 1