Fiber and static IP

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
77 posts Page 8 of 8
by steelgaze » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:52 pm
It's not completely wrong but the issue is becaus there is three or more different products with fusion in the name.

You can only get static with the Fusion vDSL.
You cannot get it on Fusion FTTN, or Fusion Fiber.
by cyclos » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:21 pm
Lack of static IP is a problem for me, too. I am a consultant. My largest client (Intel Corporation) requires me to use a static IP address, associated with my company, to access their network via VPN. This was easy to set up with the ADSL account I just dropped. It's a non-starter with my new fiber setup.
by dranch » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:16 pm
Just called Sonic Sales and confirmed that static IPv4 IPs over the FTTN offering is still not an option. I also confirmed and the Sonic Fiber offering is also not available in the South Bay nor any ETA is available.

This thread started May 05, 2016 (2+ years ago) and I had been asking for this offering at least 1-2 years earlier. The statics are required for SMTP and DNS that I choose to still host myself. It's the AT&T based 6Mbps down / 768Kpbs up DSL just won't cut it anymore due to with two teenagers and a wife YouTubing, Netflixing, PS4 patching, and plenty of other devices constantly chatting with the cloud. I cannot wait any longer for Sonic to support a native static IPs solution (not VPN workaround) so I'm officially off to Comcast Business. They have offer 75mbps down / 15mbps up for years. I just didn't want to go to a questionable business practices provider like Comcast but I have no other option. Even switching to AT&T is blocked due to an anti-poaching agreement with Sonic. I would have to NOT be a Sonic customer for 3-6mo before I could sign up with a native AT&T FTTN offering (which I'm not interested in anyway).

I've been a Sonic customer since April 2005 (13yrs) and I appreciate Sonic's previous levels of support for the power user. It seems the company's priorities have shifted to the average consumer. Bummer. I do wish Sonic the best of luck with the Fiber rollout and I hope someday it will be available in Santa Clara, CA. Maybe at that time, I might come back to Sonic as I rather give my money to a local ISP with ethic vs. a company with non-customer agendas like Comcast.

Cya..

--David
by Mike Fiber » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:44 pm
I have not idea how fiber IP allocation works, but would it be easier to start supporting static IPs if you limit it to 1 ip address? Like when you use the DHCP reservation feature on your router and it reserves an IP based on MAC address. Could this be a way to avoid more complicated subnetting?
by Sonic Guest » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:04 am
cyclos wrote:Lack of static IP is a problem for me, too. I am a consultant. My largest client (Intel Corporation) requires me to use a static IP address, associated with my company, to access their network via VPN. This was easy to set up with the ADSL account I just dropped. It's a non-starter with my new fiber setup.
You do realize Sonic Fiber is marketed as a residential service, right? If you want a business account, I'm sure Sonic can accommodate.
by igorru » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:35 am
Sonic Guest wrote:You do realize Sonic Fiber is marketed as a residential service, right? If you want a business account, I'm sure Sonic can accommodate.
Problem is - Fiber Business accounts do not have static IP option either.
by dane » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:55 am
igorru wrote:
Sonic Guest wrote:You do realize Sonic Fiber is marketed as a residential service, right? If you want a business account, I'm sure Sonic can accommodate.
Problem is - Fiber Business accounts do not have static IP option either.
Very small business fiber does not have static IP, but enterprise fiber services do offer static IP, as well as BGP, customer-owned IP routing, diversity, SD-WAN and the other typical enterprise telecom services like SIP trunking, Hosted BPX, etc.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
77 posts Page 8 of 8