Can I use my current modem

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by Mike » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:36 pm
I currently have ATT Uverse Internet (no voice, no tv) with an NVG589 that they gave me for free becuase I have been a customer of theirs for many years. If I switch to Sonic, my guess is that it will be the same modem since the service is going to be utilizing ATT's equipment. The question is this: if Sonic is using the same equipment, would I still be required to rent "their" equipment?
by Guest » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:50 pm
If you subscribe to Fusion FTTN you will be charged regardless if you have your own modem or not.
by Mike » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:13 pm
Guest wrote:If you subscribe to Fusion FTTN you will be charged regardless if you have your own modem or not.
Then I should just keep what I have and grind ATT for a discount...kinda defeats the purpose to switch.

If sonic wants to gain customers that are already on uverse, they should think about allowing those of us who own our stuff to make the move without paying for a modem we already have.
by Guest » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:02 pm
Mike wrote:Then I should just keep what I have and grind ATT for a discount...kinda defeats the purpose to switch.

If sonic wants to gain customers that are already on uverse, they should think about allowing those of us who own our stuff to make the move without paying for a modem we already have.
Sonic is not making money by reselling FTTN. The only way they're in the black is to charge rentals of CPE (gateway and ATA).
by Mike » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:56 am
Guest wrote:
Mike wrote:Then I should just keep what I have and grind ATT for a discount...kinda defeats the purpose to switch.

Sonic is not making money by reselling FTTN. The only way they're in the black is to charge rentals of CPE (gateway and ATA).
I get that, but they eventually want to bring fiber to the customers they get to switch. If people don't switch because its more of a pain, then it will take way longer for that to happen.
by dane » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:43 pm
Mike wrote:
Guest wrote:If you subscribe to Fusion FTTN you will be charged regardless if you have your own modem or not.
Then I should just keep what I have and grind ATT for a discount...kinda defeats the purpose to switch.

Unfortunately, AT&T just doesn't give us that flexibility. Every new circuit gets a new modem, which is expensive and silly.

We can't even re-use returned equipment. Customers who move, or otherwise cancel and return their gear, we've got to simply liquidate on the secondary market, as we cannot use it for new customers (though we can as out-of-warranty replacements for failed equipment.)

Don't get me started on the need to put a separate ATA behind an otherwise VoIP capable residential gateway.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by torstenb » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:39 am
dane wrote:
Mike wrote:

Unfortunately, AT&T just doesn't give us that flexibility. Every new circuit gets a new modem, which is expensive and silly.

We can't even re-use returned equipment. Customers who move, or otherwise cancel and return their gear, we've got to simply liquidate on the secondary market, as we cannot use it for new customers (though we can as out-of-warranty replacements for failed equipment.)

Don't get me started on the need to put a separate ATA behind an otherwise VoIP capable residential gateway.
Yes, agreed on the separate ATA despite an otherwise VoIP capable residential gateway, but this point at least could be mitigated for customers by allowing the use of a VoIP phone and avoiding the fee for the ATA and yet another device alongside the modem.
by pockyken007 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:56 am
I believe in this department Sonics hands are tied simply because of the business level agreement between them and ATT :(
by Sunsetian » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:57 pm
I just don't want to pay $120 PER YEAR for a modem! It's not a good use of money. I also, btw, don't pay for $5 sodas at the movies. And also, I don't pay extra for air freshener at the car wash. And also, I don't take insurance when the dealer is showing an ace. In short, I'm opposed to dues and fees that are strictly monetization for the house, but serve no benefit for the user.

Is there any option to buy the modem? I thought Sonic did away with this Comcastian efforts to double monetize. Am I wrong?

Please?
by pockyken007 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:29 pm
Sunsetian wrote:I just don't want to pay $120 PER YEAR for a modem! It's not a good use of money. I also, btw, don't pay for $5 sodas at the movies. And also, I don't pay extra for air freshener at the car wash. And also, I don't take insurance when the dealer is showing an ace. In short, I'm opposed to dues and fees that are strictly monetization for the house, but serve no benefit for the user.

Is there any option to buy the modem? I thought Sonic did away with this Comcastian efforts to double monetize. Am I wrong?

Please?

The fee for the modem covers tech rolls out in case something is wrong with the service so you are not paying for modem although it might seem liek you are , you are paying for insurance :)
11 posts Page 1 of 2