Seeking tips for imap newbie

General discussions and other topics.
1 post Page 1 of 1
by kf6bkr » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:32 pm
So I've used my sonic inbox for the past ten years as a pop3 account, downloading all the mail to my little netbook running Outlook 2003. I run a much later outlook in my job, but for my personal email, I couldn't see paying for a newer client.

But 2003 Outlook is pretty deprecated , and nowadays I use my iPHONE a lot so I decided to go imap this morning and switched to Windows live mail because I didn't want to learn new keystrokes. I'm visually impaired, so even though I'm a tech, struggling with a new interface just to read personal mail didn't sound relaxing.

Anyway, I am finding imap isn't all I'd hoped. WLM refuses to let me set up any rules for automatically sorting incoming mail in to folders and it's weird having the mail in the cloud, though it's nice to be able to read it everywhere.

What should I know about using imap here on sonic that's not covered in the FAQ? Is there a way to organize my mail automatically so I don't have to move items in to folders by hand? If I don't look at mail for a week or so will it get zapped off the sonic servers? I'm on a ton of mailing lists; would I be better off moving all that over to gmail where I can manage their vast and chatty output with tags -- what gmail calls labels?

All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

--Debee
(Deborah Armstrong, KF6BKR, Milpitas, CA)
1 post Page 1 of 1