Low Performance Fusion x2

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by schizo » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:58 pm
I'm currently not getting anywhere near 30 Mbps for my Fusion x2 connection. It's almost the same as the 12 Mbps Uverse connection I switched from, which was just 1 line (ancient telephone wiring). I had new telephone wiring done at my apartment, which gave me 2 lines for Fusion x2. My computer is connected to the Pace modem/router with an ethernet cable when I ran speedtest.net. I'm 4596 feet from the CO according to the sonic.net availability check.
by pockyken007 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:45 pm
few things :
1) run pingtest.net and see if there is any jitter on the line
2) log into the modem and see if both of your lines are synced and up
3) see if you can do mpoe test ( provided both lines are synced and up ) and see if your speed improves
4) remove all / any devices you have on the network ( including land line phones if you have them )
5) replace filters if you can or remove them and leave only the internet connection plugged in
by schizo » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:31 pm
1) There's 9ms Jitter, Ping 29ms, Packet Loss 0%, Line Quality A
2) Not sure about lines being sync'ed up. Line 1 is 8785 kbs down and Line 2 is 6907 kbs down.
3) "
4) I have no other devices/phones.
5) I didn't plugin any filters. Just straight modem to phone.
by virtualmike » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:41 pm
schizo wrote:I had new telephone wiring done at my apartment, which gave me 2 lines for Fusion x2.
Did a phone company (such as Sonic or AT&T) do the wiring, or someone else? If someone else, did s/he use twisted pair or quad cable?
by schizo » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:46 pm
It was done by my apartment repair guy. I did the end points myself, hooking up the wires to the phone jack and to the telephone panel. The cable is quad I think? It had individual red, black, yellow and green wires.
by wa2ibm » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:55 am
schizo wrote:It was done by my apartment repair guy... It had individual red, black, yellow and green wires.
There's your problem. Quad cable (with the green/red and black/yellow pairs) is not twisted, it's just four wires extruded into the jacket. This allows the signal on one pair to couple easily with the signal on the other pair. Additionally, since each pair is not twisted, it allows external noise to couple into each signal pair. This will produce poor performance on bonded Fusion.

If at all possible, the quad cable should be replaced with at least category 3 twisted pair cable. If it's being replaced, just use normal category 5 cable and you'll be good.

In addition to that, the modem cable should be (round) twisted pair as well, not the flat style used for voice telephones. Your modem was probably supplied with the twisted pair cable.

Bill
by schizo » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:10 am
I think I'm going to be stuck with this setup, but is there a way I can salvage what I have? I have 2 phone jacks, one is a single line and the other has 2 lines. Could I switch to bonded fusion or do some wiring job at the jacks to make 2 clean lines? You are correct about the modem cable, they provided the round kind.
by virtualmike » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:56 pm
You're already on bonded Fusion (that's what X2 is). Honestly, the only way to get any real improvement is to get twisted pair between the MPOE and your apartment. (The Minimum Point Of Entry is where the phone lines enter the building and connect to the building's wires--At&T is responsible for the wires to that point, and your landlord is responsible for everything after.)

Unfortunately, your landlord's only responsibility is to ensure you have a working phone jack that can handle a voice line in your unit, which the quad wire will handle. You don't have any rights or leverage to require anything better.

However, if you have a good working relationship with the landlord, and/or he understands (or can be taught) the need to improve the wiring to give you better Internet performance, you may be able to convince him to make the improvement (or allow you to make it, by hiring a qualified installer who understands the requirements).
by amayfield » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:50 am
Schizo, both of your lines are underperforming for your distance. Sometimes our system is incorrect with regards to distance and you might be farther out than we think but I've checked other Fusion circuits on your street and they're averaging 15Mbps per line.

I think it'd be a good idea for us to send out a Sonic technician to do an MPOE sync test (speed test). Then we'll be able to determine definitively if the loss is happening between the MPOE and your jack or on the outside wiring. We won't charge you for this dispatch but if it turns out you need to run new internal wiring, sadly our technicians wouldn't be able to do that for you.

To schedule a dispatch give support a call at 888.766.4233 or arrange a callback at sonic.net/support/cba.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
9 posts Page 1 of 1