List of compatible modems needed.

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by mpetrelis » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:25 pm
Low-tech guy here trying to solve connection and setup.

I've signed up for Sonic's fone and web hi speed service, and need to know names of brands and models of modems compatible with Sonic.

Have already bought two un-compatible modems at BestBuy that the salespersons assured me would work and was also told when signing up with Sonic that there's no problem using a third party modem.

Well, it's too much trouble for Sonic to tell me the name of compatible modems, better to get me to pay $10 monthly to rent a piece of equipment.

How to get a modem that works and avoid the Sonic rental fee?
by pockyken007 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:28 pm
Sonic won't tell you the list of compatible modems because they are 3rd party modems ( as in not supported by sonic ) and if something doesn't work they want to avoid " you told me this would work and it doesn't " kind of situation . Said that , you are free to use whatever you want ( 3rd party modem ) as long as YOU , YOURSELF figure it out how to set it up and make it work ... good luck .
by blackmage » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:16 pm
If you don't feel comfortable configuring a modem, I would strongly advise going with their rental. The rental is a small price compared for the ease of installation and the free replacements (and free dispatches if you ever end up needing it).

That being said, unless you have a X2 or are close enough to be on VDSL, any ADSL2+ modem will work. However, you will usually need to configure it so it doesn't ask for a username/password.
by dct » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:41 pm
Hey mpetrelis,

We're not able to test, configure, and document every modem, as firmware, software, and other incremental changes make this is a constantly shifting battlefield. We'd rather supply a device that, when you plug it in, it just works.

You do have options though; you can supply your own device, you just need to maintain / configure it. Taking a look at your line, it would be worthwhile to obtain a VDSL modem capable of PTM.

If you utilize the search function, you should be able to find a number of threads where customers are discussion specific pros and cons of certain modems, along with the configuration of those devices.

Also, while renting our modem, you are part of our end to end protection plan, which includes free service calls and replacements of your equipment should there be an issue. I understand renting is not always optimal, but we do try and add as much value to this rental as we can.
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
by rtrinh » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:40 am
While these are not VDSL modems, they did work for me on Sonic ADSL2+.

Netgear DGN2200v2
Netgear DGND3700
Netgear D6200

And to note that the 2200 needed some DSL settings changed for it to work with Sonic. I don't remember for the 3700. And the D6200 worked "right out of the box".

Do you still have any of the ones you've already? There might be some settings that needs to be done to work.
5 posts Page 1 of 1