Low download speed on Fusion! How to fix?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by belgorod1968 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:55 pm
Hi everyone! I ordered Sonic Fusion on November 15th, read the forum about the switch process being slow, and waited patiently, first for activation date and then, when I didn't have an internet after the activation date, I waited a week for the technician to come and connect my Fusion in the phone box. However, the download speed of my new internet is extremely disappointing. I switched from 20Mb internet with the promise of 40Mb. I knew I wouldn't have full 40, but I hoped for at least 32-35Mb. But now I barely have 12Mb! If any technician from Sonic reads this post, can you please check my line to see what is wrong? Thank you.

Attachments

by dct » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:56 pm
That's definitely strange, as I see that your modem is synced over 40 right now. Are you testing via wired, or is this wireless? I made a few adjustments on your wifi to try and improve performance, but I'd definitely be interested in a wired test. If you're still seeing slow speeds, please give support a call so we can take a look into this.
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
by belgorod1968 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:01 am
Thank you very much Dan for the quick reply. I tested with wire and the speed is amazing. So, something wrong with the wireless. I'll give a call to tech support today. Thanks again.

Attachments

by pockyken007 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:58 am
hm... while your wireless speeds are lowish they are not out of range of what people usually get when using wireless technology ( pending on many factors such as distance , EMF , etc ) half of the wire speed on wifi is what i would expect to see to be honest as I have seen that kind of speed way to many times now there are ways to tweak it and possibly bring it up but half the wired speed ain't that bad for wifi
by parker_day » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:14 am
Wireless congestion on 2.4Ghz has gotten so bad that at my place in San Francisco I can only get 10-20Mbps on it. That's even using high end fancy routers and checking different channels/power output/settings. Luckily 5Ghz is a lot less congested, but you may have to buy your own router to get that feature, and your devices have to support it as well.
by amayfield » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:28 am
Indeed, I was going to suggest what Parker has suggested - try out the 5Ghz broadcast if it's feasible. Your modem is reporting interference on the 2.4Ghz frequency. If you need help connecting to the 5Ghz broadcast Support can help you with that.
Andrew M.
Sonic
by belgorod1968 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:08 pm
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think that is the problem. My 2.4G channels are overcrowded. 5G channel is good though. Now I need to buy new wireless adapters. :)
by dct » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:24 pm
belgorod1968 wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice. I think that is the problem. My 2.4G channels are overcrowded. 5G channel is good though. Now I need to buy new wireless adapters. :)
Glad we could identify the culprit! Hope you're back up and running soon at full speed :)
Dan T.
707-547-3400
@Sonic
8 posts Page 1 of 1