Medical Device Compatibility

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by Mark » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:41 pm
Will phone service that comes across with FTTN be compatible with medical devices that use traditional phone lines to communicate regular updates to a medical provider? I have a device that interrogates my pacemaker and calls my medical provider to give weekly status updates. I currently use a phone line provided by Time Warner.
by miken » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:09 pm
You can call the manufacturer of the device (or in this case, possibly your medical provider) and see if it supports VoIP. As far as I know, Time Warner uses VoIP and doesn't have POTS (plain old telephone service) so Fusion FTTN should work.

The other aspect is that Fusion FTTN only comes with effectively one phone jack to plug a phone into. This may be fine if you only use the phone line for the medical device, but if you want to have additional phones this will be a problem. Backfeeding is something that can be done after the installation to get use out of all of your phone jacks, but as it requires some rewiring, we can't provide assistance and support it. You may want to look into backfeeding as a possible option that you could do or have an electrician help with.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by virtualmike » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:11 pm
kirito wrote:The other aspect is that Fusion FTTN only comes with effectively one phone jack to plug a phone into.
Wouldn't a splitter be sufficient, unless the other phones/devices are to be located in other rooms?
by Mark » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:52 pm
Thank you for the responses. I could ask the medical device maker, but to be honest they aren't exactly on the forefront with this kind of stuff. They still won't certify that I can walk through an airport scanner. :)

Thanks for the confirmation on the splitter also - that's currently how I have it setup with TW.
by wa2ibm » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:28 pm
The last time I visited my cardiologist for a pacer check, the tech told me that Medtronic will be replacing their home monitors with models that use cell technology instead of landline phones. I don't know about the vendor that you use for your monitor.
by virtualmike » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:52 pm
If it works with TW, then it should work with Sonic.
by miken » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:17 pm
virtualmike wrote:Wouldn't a splitter be sufficient, unless the other phones/devices are to be located in other rooms?
That slipped my mind! There shouldn't be any problem with using a splitter, other than the phone and the medical device needing to be in the same room. Thanks for the suggestion!
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
7 posts Page 1 of 1