How smooth is the transfer process

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
15 posts Page 1 of 2
by JunZSSF » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:33 pm
I am wondering how smooth is the transfer process from ATT Uverse to Sonic? do I need to be home and wait for the tech?
by dane » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:02 pm
JunZSSF wrote:I am wondering how smooth is the transfer process from ATT Uverse to Sonic? do I need to be home and wait for the tech?
Yes, it's a new connection, delivered separately from whatever you have today. So we will schedule a technician installation for the day of service delivery.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by torstenb » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:11 am
JunZSSF wrote:I am wondering how smooth is the transfer process from ATT Uverse to Sonic? do I need to be home and wait for the tech?
The "smoothness" may also depend on whether your new Sonic service is Sonic's Fusion product or Sonic FTTN.

In case you will get Sonic's own Fusion product installed, you really want to make sure that Sonic understands that you have existing AT&T Uverse service and that they need to send their own technician the very same day that the AT&T technician is coming out. Otherwise what may happen is, the AT&T technician comes out and switches the line to your house back to DSL from your current Uverse, instead of running a new line to your house. That means that your Uverse service won't work anymore and there is a good chance that upon installation of your Uverse product the wiring in your house was changed or cut by the Uverse installer previously, meaning when the outside is now being switched back to DSL for Sonic Fusion, your in-house wiring will not simply work with the modem that Sonic is going to ship you and it will require a Sonic technician to fix it. And the AT&T technician will not fix your in-house wiring, as he/she will claim that that is then Sonic's job.

I had that happen twice, first with my own Sonic installation 5+ years ago and just a few months ago with my neighbor's installation who I referred to Sonic. (Not a good start, as she was out of phone and internet service for almost a week.)
by JunZSSF » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:25 pm
I have checked my address, and it indicates I can only use Fusion FTTN 20M.
the transfer procedure sounds really complicated, so I need to have 2 techs here at the same same? and I also need to stay at home?

torstenb wrote:
The "smoothness" may also depend on whether your new Sonic service is Sonic's Fusion product or Sonic FTTN.

In case you will get Sonic's own Fusion product installed, you really want to make sure that Sonic understands that you have existing AT&T Uverse service and that they need to send their own technician the very same day that the AT&T technician is coming out. Otherwise what may happen is, the AT&T technician comes out and switches the line to your house back to DSL from your current Uverse, instead of running a new line to your house. That means that your Uverse service won't work anymore and there is a good chance that upon installation of your Uverse product the wiring in your house was changed or cut by the Uverse installer previously, meaning when the outside is now being switched back to DSL for Sonic Fusion, your in-house wiring will not simply work with the modem that Sonic is going to ship you and it will require a Sonic technician to fix it. And the AT&T technician will not fix your in-house wiring, as he/she will claim that that is then Sonic's job.

I had that happen twice, first with my own Sonic installation 5+ years ago and just a few months ago with my neighbor's installation who I referred to Sonic. (Not a good start, as she was out of phone and internet service for almost a week.)
by miken » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:52 pm
JunZSSF wrote:I have checked my address, and it indicates I can only use Fusion FTTN 20M.
the transfer procedure sounds really complicated, so I need to have 2 techs here at the same same? and I also need to stay at home?
The situation described by the user above is only for switching from Uverse to our regular Fusion service. Fusion FTTN has a different installation process and we won't need to dispatch that second technician. You do, however, need someone over the age of 18 to be present for the installation window.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:40 am
The transfer should be fairly easy since you already have a drop that can most likely be re-used , if the tech knows what he is doing he will either A) do a new drop without disconnecting your old one so that in case something goes wrong you still have your old reliable connection or B) use your old connection , test it and if it works the installation will be completed . Should be a breeze for a tech
by cdrayson » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:48 pm
I suppose your mileage may vary, but when we switched from AT&T I got ours up and running in 15 minutes, 18 hours after having my appendix removed.
by craig.langman » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:30 pm
cdrayson wrote:I suppose your mileage may vary, but when we switched from AT&T I got ours up and running in 15 minutes, 18 hours after having my appendix removed.
Is appendix removal required in advance? I wasn't able to get that scheduled before the technian is scheduled; should I delay tech, or can I remove appendix after and it'll still work?
by pockyken007 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:46 pm
appendix removal can be done by yourself ... here is the link to DIY kit http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/wp-cont ... fd21c2.jpg ... cooking recipes not provided with standard package
by Guest » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:21 pm
This video can help for DIY.... skip to about 2 or 2½ minutes if you're in a hurry to get started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efIbxUVVLfI
15 posts Page 1 of 2