Non-Sonic FTTN to Sonic FTTN?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by polpo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:31 pm
I have FTTN service through DSLExtreme and would like to move back to FTTN service through Sonic. Has anyone else done this? If not can anyone share experiences about an AT&T Uverse to Sonic FTTN switch? Could switching be done without a technician visit? I already have an NVG589 and everything all set up and would like minimal interruption of service.
by dct » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:45 pm
Switching to Fusion FTTN would require a technician appointment and installation; the lines heading toward your home are leased by DSL Extreme, and the back end provisioning isn't transferable to Sonic.

There shouldn't be much in terms of down time; only the initial cut over from DSL Extreme to us during your installation appointment. Hope that answers your questions!
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
by polpo » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:20 pm
Here's an update, which may be a bit out of the ordinary because I'm in Cupertino, the first AT&T "Gigapower" (300Mbps and 1Gbps fiber) city in the Bay Area. I went ahead and ordered, and the install was today. Apparently they are transitioning installs over to FTTH even if you don't technically need it for the speed level of your subscription. So I got a nice new fiber optic line ran to the house (the copper line is still there, but no longer connected). Shame it only runs at ~45Mbps (56Mbps according to speedtest.net). I would love to be able to pay Sonic for the higher speeds that this fiber is capable of.
by dane » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:39 pm
Interesting. What make & model of optical network terminal and residential gateway were deployed during your installation?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:06 pm
That is so so speed for fiber can you post speedtest and pingtest results ?
by polpo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:43 am
dane wrote:Interesting. What make & model of optical network terminal and residential gateway were deployed during your installation?
Looks like it's an Alcatel-Lucent O-210G-B ONT. The RG is a Pace 5268AC.
pockyken007 wrote:That is so so speed for fiber can you post speedtest and pingtest results ?
Yeah, the speed is limited because I just have the Sonic FTTN x2 product. Speedtest.net shows a 2ms ping and 56Mbps download and 6Mbps upload.
by pockyken007 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:30 am
your speeds are roughly the same as mine ( 55 Mbps down / 5.5 Mbps up ) and I am around 100ft ( if not less ) from the Vrad box . The FTTN x2 is capped at that speed sadly ( my modem Sync rate shows anywhere from 140-150 down and 10 up ) but since there is a hard cap we won't be able to get that :P
by Guest » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:13 pm
polpo wrote:Looks like it's an Alcatel-Lucent O-210G-B ONT. The RG is a Pace 5268AC..
But your latency is a lot better than people who have true FTTN. It's 2ms instead of around 20.
8 posts Page 1 of 1