Pace 5268AC DNS search domain

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by dsdamiani » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:47 am
I just got a new 5268ac from sonic, since I upgraded to bonded lines. I noticed now in this new unit you can add DNS records (in addition to the ones it automatically creates for clients that send a hostname with their DHCP request like my old PACE did). I'm trying to use this gateway as my main router instead of my old router with DD-WRT that I had behind my old 4111n in dmz+ mode, since this new one can add custom DNS records and has gigabit ports. One issue that I noticed is that the clients connecting via DHCP have their search domain set to gateway.sonic.net. In my old setup I had my own local search domain that I used. I was curious if this can be modified?

Not really a problem if it is not possible. I can work around this.
by dsdamiani » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:32 pm
Ok, found in the GUI of the modem where you would seemingly change this.

Under 'Broadband' -> 'Link Configuration' if I set the modem to 'Manually specify DNS information' and then set dns nameservers fields and the domain field. After that if I look under 'Broadband' -> 'Status' I see the domain name I listed under the domain field. If I renew a dhcp lease on one of my machines it still assigns 'gateway.sonic.net' as the DNS suffix. Is this expected?
by adame » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:25 pm
dsdamiani wrote:If I renew a dhcp lease on one of my machines it still assigns 'gateway.sonic.net' as the DNS suffix. Is this expected?
I'd expect that's just cached information. Have you flushed your cache and rebooted?
Adam Martinetti
Customer Experience Manager
Sonic.
by filbo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:53 pm
(1) Did rebooting the 5268AC fix the issue (i.e.: cause its internal DNS to start labeling your hosts hostname.yourdomain.tld)?

(2) That's a Sonic-supplied 5268AC, not AT&T-supplied, right? Mine's from AT&T (VDSLx2-to-FTTN), so there's even less chance of getting control over anything, sigh.

(3) Any way to override the hostnames? I'd like to have control over the DHCP per-mac-address hostnames. I hate the "android-hexgibberish" and "unknownHEXGIBBERISH" addresses generated by my family's Android, Chromebook, and LG-Tracfone-semi-smart devices.

(4) Previous discussion: http://forums.sonic.net/viewtopic.php?t=880. In which Pace 4111N almost provides the desired hostname feature, except it only provides "Edit name" links for some random subset of devices. 5268AC has very similar UI, but I don't see "Edit name" for any devices. :( The workaround suggested by adame doesn't work, as none of those devices provide UI access to hostnames. Androids have to be rooted to get control over that. Chromebooks, dunno -- Google search turns up questions not answers.
4 posts Page 1 of 1