how to interface with mySql

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
13 posts Page 1 of 2
by bartok3 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:25 am
Hello,

I would like to set up a mysql db on sonic.net but am not sure
of the software to use to interface with the db (ie to connect to
the db and run queries). Does anyone have an suggestions to help
me get started?

Thanks,
Joel
by augie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:18 pm
What are you looking to do?

Most folks have experience using a programming language or already have an application that requires a DB, and just plug the pertinent connection information in.

MySQL Workbench might be generic enough for you to use: http://www.mysql.com/products/workbench/
by Bartok3 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:33 pm
I'm trying to do 2 things.

One, is to set up an odbc connection to the mysql database that I have created on sonic.net
but I'm having trouble getting the ip address and the datasource name.

Two is to find an easy programming language to manipulate the db and display the results
on the users' browsers. I am used to using Cold Fusion but I don't see this as one of the database
choices.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
by augie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:01 pm
The Sonic.net Member Tool should show you all the DSN info. after you create a DB.

PHP is going to be the most common programming language for connecting to a DB and displaying results on a web page.

I hope that helps.
by bartok3 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:57 am
I learned from the folks at Sonic that I can't access the database from outside
their server.

Can anyone tell me how I can have users get data from a mysql db that is on sonic?

Thank you for any help.
by williamt » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:10 am
The databases are meant to be used with websites and code ran from our web servers. External applications are not supported.
Sr. Systems Administrator @ sonic.net
by bartok3 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:31 pm
I have a website and mysql db set up on Sonic.net.

How do I get to the screen where I can start writing the php code that will allow me to manipulate the
db?
by kbenson » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:23 pm
Generally, you write the code on your computer in your favorite editor, and then upload it to your website like you would any other files, be they images or html.

It is possible to get shell access, which gives you a text interface you could use to write the files directly, but that's probably the harder route to go.
by dja » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:56 pm
Over the summer I was tutoring a Java class where we were creating desktop applications that were backed by a MySQL database. We were using a database under my account and the code had no problems connecting to the database from offsite.... was there a policy change that now prevents people from connecting from offsite?
by kgc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:36 am
Yes, to improve the overall security of our SQL services we've firewalled it off so only our hosting services can reach the server. This greatly reduces the potential exposure for DoS attacks, as well as things like brute-force password attacks.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
13 posts Page 1 of 2