House wiring / ATA / New Install

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by dun » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:26 am
Ordered FTTN on 9/11 and received notice of install on 9/24. Install date of 9/28. ATA sent out from Sonic on 9/25 to be received on 9/28. Based on past UPS delivery schedule, the ATA will not be here on time for the installer. So question is: will the installer take care of the house wiring for the ATA ? Will it just be a matter of plugging in the ATA , or, will I have to deal with hooking up the wiring at the POE for the house phones and feeding a second pair back to the POE ?

Thanks.
by mediahound » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:27 am
dun wrote:Ordered FTTN on 9/11 and received notice of install on 9/24. Install date of 9/28. ATA sent out from Sonic on 9/25 to be received on 9/28. Based on past UPS delivery schedule, the ATA will not be here on time for the installer. So question is: will the installer take care of the house wiring for the ATA ? Will it just be a matter of plugging in the ATA , or, will I have to deal with hooking up the wiring at the POE for the house phones and feeding a second pair back to the POE ?

Thanks.
The installer actually doesn't do anything with the ATA, even if you have it on hand. It just plugs into the back of the AT&T FTTN modem, after the internet is up.

No worries, you can do this at any time after your internet is up.

After plugging it in to the modem, in about 30 minutes or so, Sonic's network finds the ATA and activates your dial tone automatically.
by dun » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:44 am
So, once I have the ATA w/ 1 phone port, how does it get back down to the POE where all the house lines are ? My understanding is all the current house lines (2 Story house - 4 phones) will be disconnected at the POE. Does the installer normally tie all the lines back together at the POE, separate from the incoming FTTN line, and then use the other pair available feeding the RG to go back down to the phone lines ?

FWIW, this is a 2 story home w/ old school 4 carbon post tie in at the POE.

Thanks
by mediahound » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:01 am
dun wrote:So, once I have the ATA w/ 1 phone port, how does it get back down to the POE where all the house lines are ? My understanding is all the current house lines (2 Story house - 4 phones) will be disconnected at the POE. Does the installer normally tie all the lines back together at the POE, separate from the incoming FTTN line, and then use the other pair available feeding the RG to go back down to the phone lines ?

FWIW, this is a 2 story home w/ old school 4 carbon post tie in at the POE.

Thanks
Sorry, I'm not sure on that.I would probably just get a multi handset cordless phone system and use that with the ATA instead of trying to hook up all the existing wiring.
by wa2ibm » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:26 am
The installer that comes is an AT&T tech. That tech will ensure the incoming pair(s) are working, install the AT&T modem, ensure that it's working, then leave. That's all they do. They will not disconnect the existing POTS line, since that's not part of the install procedure.

It's your responsibility to connect the ATA and wire it into your existing home wiring, if that's what you want. If you're not comfortable do that work yourself, find someone who is (a friend or neighbor).

You will also need to contact Sonic to ensure the number port from your existing line to the ATA is executed. Once the port is done, that will trigger AT&T to discontinue your existing POTS line and it will go inactive. That's the point at which you switch the wiring.
by dun » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:50 pm
Sounds like a high potential for unhappy customers if they just verify FTTN operation and due nothing w/ the phone wiring. I thought the house lines were disconnected from the Uverse digital pair at the POE but I guess if there is another pair available coming into the POE then no problem for the installer leaving the existing phone lines hooked up. Disconnecting the phone lines at the POE and tieing them together shouldn't be an issue, just have to make sure which pair are used at the RG and which pair I can feed back to the phone lines.
by dun » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:28 pm
So, just to close out the story. Installer showed up on-time today w/ his boss. His boss is then gone 20 mins later. Installs a NID since all I have is the little 2" X 3" box w/ 4 carbon piles. Runs a Cat 5e from the NID to the upstairs extra room. Acknowledges it's not supposed to be part of the job but since I brought it up w/ him and his boss, ties all the house lines together at the small box and jumps them over to the NID. Also installs a 2 port wall plate w/ Data + Phone connections upstairs and uses a pair from the CAT 5e for the phone port to go back down to the NID. Worked out just as I wanted. Of course the ATA shows up well after their gone but no issues. 10-15 mins and phones working through out the house. Next adventure, the porting process.

And, going from 3Mbit down to 18Mbit down. Woo Hoo. Upload seems a little lazy though but will keep an eye on it.
7 posts Page 1 of 1