Pace 5168/5268 and bridge mode FAIL

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
23 posts Page 1 of 3
by tartarus » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:39 pm
Has anyone been able to get the Pace 5168 or 5268 to switch to bridge mode properly? I've gone through two 5268s and one 5168 and all of them display "Error" without any additional details when trying to switch to bridge mode.
by m2m3 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:13 am
In the past, I have been able to get my 5168 into bridge mode; but, I switched back to DMZ+ mode so I could have all of my necessary indicator lights and http access, giving me feedback that I needed.
by lwomack » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:34 am
For the 5268s - Currently there is a bug where the 5286 wont support bridge mode for ADSL circuits. They work work fine for bridge with VDSL cards. This is a known bug that we are currently addressing. It should be fixed with the newest firmware push.

For the 5168 - When the modem is set to bridge mode, it often gives the very unhelpful message "Errors". Generally that means bridge mode has taken effect. It appears there is something going on with the modem we sent you specifically. I'll PM you to set up a time to troubleshoot that 5168.
by tartarus » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:56 pm
m2m3 wrote:In the past, I have been able to get my 5168 into bridge mode; but, I switched back to DMZ+ mode so I could have all of my necessary indicator lights and http access, giving me feedback that I needed.
Haven't experimented with DMZ+ mode on the 5268, but on the 5168 it required that the target device use DHCP and would not allow the target device to be placed in DMZ+ mode if the device tried to grab a static IP within the address range (DHCP server on/off). This makes it a lot harder to poke holes through my own firewall to provide external access to my services since I need to specify the source (DMZ+ device) IP and internal IP. DMZ+ mode also broke my security camera connection to the internet. The camera had zero issues with the old modem or even when having to go through double NAT with the 5168/5268.
by tartarus » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:38 pm
Tried getting the 5168 into bridge mode again last night. Every time I attempted to grab an IP using my own device behind the bridge, the 5168 restarted itself. After a few attempts, I disabled bridge mode and the 5168 could not grab an IP. I had to factory reset it to get it back to a working state. Definitely something wrong with the firmware.
by lwomack » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:19 am
The symptoms your experiencing are atypical for the 5168, but to be expected for the 5268 until the firmware has been updated. We will be sending you a replacement 5168 shortly.
by tartarus » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:14 am
lwomack wrote:The symptoms your experiencing are atypical for the 5168, but to be expected for the 5268 until the firmware has been updated. We will be sending you a replacement 5168 shortly.
Thanks, lwomack! Can't wait :)
by phila » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:23 pm
I too has been having lots of problems with getting these modems to work in Bridge mode. 5268s firmware is bugged, and 5168 is riddled with other issues like random reboots, not holding connections or plain not passing traffic.
I have tried 4 diff modems already, and it has been almost 2 months that I tried to get this working.

Strongly thinking of dropping Fusion X2 all together, it has been non working .
by Matt » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:35 pm
Just received a 5268 and have been unsuccessful at getting it to work in Bridge mode for the past 2 days. Will the firmware be automatically updated, or do we need to do a manual installation?
by dct » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:37 pm
Matt wrote:Just received a 5268 and have been unsuccessful at getting it to work in Bridge mode for the past 2 days. Will the firmware be automatically updated, or do we need to do a manual installation?
It should automatically be pushed out once it's ready. Unfortunately, it's a long process testing and debugging the firmware; we'll push it out as soon as we're certain the bug has been squashed.

If you give us a call, we might be able to figure something else out in the meantime, depending on your needs specifically for bridging the device.
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
23 posts Page 1 of 3