Troubleshooting sporadic flakiness on a new FTTN install

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by kalozero » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:40 am
I think I'm seeing randomly high latency and/or packet loss over my FTTN connection.

Are there reliable online tools to help diagnose this sort of problem? A SmokePing test shows some occasional packet loss/very high latency to my router, can I assume that's meaningful?

I'm reluctant to call support just yet, because my experience with previous ISPs has been that if the problem isn't occurring while you're on the phone, it's usually a waste of time.

I'm not seeing anything obvious in the wiki or FAQs about this; my apologies if I've missed something.
by pockyken007 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:48 am
Call the support so they can start monitoring your line and log the issue

in the meantime you can do some basic troubleshooting by checking other jacks in the home , , replacing the wires ( if you can ) , plugging your modem at the MPOE and see if the issue persist . Moving modem to a new place ( for some people location of the modem in the house played an important role in troubleshooting the issues ) .
by Guest » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:31 pm
are their filters for FTTN? I thought it was all IP traffic and no voice/POTS?
by pockyken007 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:40 pm
Guest wrote:are their filters for FTTN? I thought it was all IP traffic and no voice/POTS?
My apologies about the filters I typed that in thinking about Fusion / VDSL .
by kalozero » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:11 pm
FWIW, turning off IPv6 on the NV589 fixes the problems I'm seeing. The future of the internet is apparently very, very slow.
by dherr » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:38 am
Have you verified that the problem comes back if you re-enable IPv6?

The AT&T Pace gateways don't always behave in a predictable fashion.
by kalozero » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:53 am
NV589 is an Arris/Motorola joint, but I can dig it. I'll report back.
7 posts Page 1 of 1