Sonic "survey" spam injected into web requests...?

General discussions and other topics.
14 posts Page 1 of 2
by tbessie » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:13 am
I was just browsing the web and suddenly get a popup at "rewardopportunities" saying I've been selected for a survey for "sonic.net".

Screenshot enclosed (tho' after I said "OK" to the request).

Is this fake spam? If not, what's up with injected as a response to an unrelated HTTP request? This seems so unethical, I can't believe sonic.net commissioned it.

Dane, anyone else - what's this about?

- Tim

Attachments

by ben.blois » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:32 am
tbessie wrote:I was just browsing the web and suddenly get a popup at "rewardopportunities" saying I've been selected for a survey for "sonic.net".

Screenshot enclosed (tho' after I said "OK" to the request).

Is this fake spam? If not, what's up with injected as a response to an unrelated HTTP request? This seems so unethical, I can't believe sonic.net commissioned it.

Dane, anyone else - what's this about?

- Tim
This is indeed fake spam, thank you for bringing it to our attention!
Ben Blois
Sonic Technical Support
(707) 547-3400
by parker_day » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:01 pm
You'd get the popup not matter what ISP you use. The page does a reverse lookup of your IP address and changes the name in the ad to match the one accessing the page. So if you used Comcast it would say Comcast. It's not just Sonic. Here is another (safer) example of the same type of tech:
by tbessie » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:48 pm
Thanks for the replies, folks! Yeah, I didn't think it was ligit, but thought I'd ask just to make sure. It's the first of its kind I've seen before, amazingly.

- Tim
by dct » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:55 pm
I had someone give us a call recently wondering why we never shipped out our Miraculous Anti-Aging cream. That was pretty confusing!
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
by a1zealot » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:48 am
I Just got this today in my Sonic email account.
Certainly looks like Phishing to me, has anyone else got this?

Thanks,
-m

Attachments

by bobrk » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:00 pm
Definitely. I would be interesting to see what the links are pointing at.
by Guest » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:33 pm
bobrk wrote:Definitely. I would be interesting to see what the links are pointing at.
http://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=son.net

Some stupid shell company.
by brendanw » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:44 am
That message is definitely a phishing attempt that Support is aware of and has taken steps to block.
Brendan W.
Sonic Support Staff
by a1zealot » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:03 am
Thank you!
-m
14 posts Page 1 of 2