DSL to Fusion FTTN-Sonic Telephone Service is not available

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by nathrak » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:17 pm
Got the email from Sonic about legacy DSL price going up and used the included link to the DSL member tool. Happily it says I can get 18mbs Fusion FTTN but also says "Note: Sonic Telephone Service is not available in your area." I'm guessing this is the reason the Sonic.net availability checker still turns me down. So I'm just wondering a few things.

1. Since I'll have to keep my home phone with AT&T will upgrading to Fusion FTTN interfere with that in functionality or with the way AT&T bills? Will the technician know I'm just getting internet and not switching over to VOIP or will I get migrated to VOIP with AT&T at the same time?

2. Will phone service be available sometime in the future? Is it something AT&T has to bring to the area or Sonic?

3. Base price seems to be $40 per month with or without phone service I guess there are just some taxes/fees I don't pay? The comparison chart says the typical total for Fusion FTTN is $55 per month while the details for me say $46.50.

Hopefully I can just upgrade without hassle. There's a slight problem with the line from the pole having a "temporary" patch near the box until AT&T replaces it but it seems to work fine. It's been temporary for about 12 years now, I think they forgot!
by pockyken007 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:27 pm
FTTN comes with VOIP phone service although I guess you could have a regular plain old phone line as well as your FTTN ( 2 lines total ) as for billing on that I would contact sonic support and figure it out ...
by nathrak » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:22 pm
I know Fusion FTTN is touted as coming with VOIP phone service but it's telling me phone service is unavailable, which is where my questions come from.
by dherr » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:02 pm
Sounds like you should call to clear it up. Yes, the Sonic FTTN phone service is clearly VOIP which can be used from anywhere you can get on the net, but the taxes they charge are based on the city you live in, so maybe that is the issue.
by Guest » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:40 pm
My FTTN order page also warned that Sonic phone service is not available in my area so VOIP wouldn't be part of the deal, so I've got the same questions as the OP about keeping my land line. I'm going to assume it's possible and keep my fingers crossed.
by dct » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:03 pm
In certain areas we are unable to provide voice service. This affects a small minority, but has to do with local infrastructure and how we serve the VOIP connections.

If you're in a position where FTTN is offered without voice, you'll need something like Vonage, Magic Jack, Ooma, Skype, et al. It's still a good idea to give us a call so that a support representative can determine if this is the case.
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
6 posts Page 1 of 1