Fusion FTTN NAT table sessions limit question

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by dshin586 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:38 pm
I recently switched to Fusion FTTN from Comcast. I really like it and have no issues so far, but one thing that's kind of an annoying is the provided U-Verse NVG589 modem has a NAT table sessions limit of 2560.

I've read that this limit was higher before, but AT&T lowered it in recent firmware updates. It's not really an issue most of the time, but sometimes the modem hangs and loses connection with P2P apps like BitTorrent when the limit is reached.

Is there any way that Sonic could increase this limit or bypass it? Thanks.
by Guest » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:09 pm
dshin586 wrote:I recently switched to Fusion FTTN from Comcast. I really like it and have no issues so far, but one thing that's kind of an annoying is the provided U-Verse NVG589 modem has a NAT table sessions limit of 2560.
Sonic won't be able to increase it but if you use your own router behind the 589 it will bypass the NAT limit.
by dshin586 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:08 am
I'm already using my own router with IP passthrough mode on the modem, and it doesn't bypass the NAT limit.
by Guest » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:19 pm
dshin586 wrote:I'm already using my own router with IP passthrough mode on the modem, and it doesn't bypass the NAT limit.
Sorry to hear that. I have single-line FTTN on a 5031 and I don't have the limit using DMZ+. You also need to uncheck lots of things on the firewall. Post a screenshot of your firewall advanced configuration. Everything in Attack Detection should be unchecked, for example. Strict UDP Session Control in Enhanced Security should be unchecked.
by dshin586 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:49 pm
The settings on the modem are already properly set for IP passthrough mode. The NVG589 doesn't have a real bridge mode like DMZ+. All the firewall settings are already disabled. It seems like there isn't really any way to bypass or increase the limit through AT&T based info on other forums for U-Verse, which was why I was just wondering if Sonic can do anything about the limit.
by parker_day » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:23 am
If you setup your router as an OpenVPN client (with Sonic's free VPN they are beta testing) would that bypass the session limit?
by dshin586 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:48 am
So, I also just read on another forum that using a VPN is the only way to bypass the limit. Do you know if Sonic's free VPN supports P2P like BitTorrent, or if it has any restrictions like bandwidth or concurrent connections limits?
7 posts Page 1 of 1